Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking about this today:

We have a city street that turns into a county road that is named Hurricane Street and Hurricane Road.

Yet, the majority of folks in our community pronounce it "Hurr-i-cun". You can almost always tell a visitor, traveler, or newbie to our town because they will always pronounce it the way it should be, as when talking about a storm that forms over the ocean.

We have another street named Champ Elysees, which everyone pronounces the way it is spelled out.

I reckon someone from afar could pronounce it correctly, but I can't! I keep refering to it as everyone else does. And just think, my own mother likes to tell everyone how smart I am!

We also have a few towns in Indiana, one is Versailles, which is also pronounced as it is written, in Ver-sales", and not as the French say "Vers-I", as I am told.

What are the odd and funny pronunciations in your area?

Clove

·
Registered
174 Posts
I get grumpy when people talk about Calgary, Alberta (I was born there and most my family is still there).
They pronounce "Cal - gary" like a guys name Gary.
it is to be pronounced "Cal-gree" You can tell the non-calgarians or imports b/c they don't say it right. Poor hubby ALWAYS is careful to say it right so I don't give him "the look" ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not so much they are pronounced funny, they are just hard for me to pronounce. I spent 2 years in Guatemala and now speak Spanish fluently. My wife grew up in Woodburn, Oregon, and there are 2 towns nearby that I always mispronounce because I pronounce it in Spanish.

Mollala - I pronounce it mo-ya-la but it is mo-la-la
Gervais - I prounceit hair-vice but it is Jervis (I think)

Bil

·
Premium Member
42,690 Posts
I am always amused at the way the local folks pronounce a small community here named Subtle. They pronounce it just the way its spelled, Sub-tle,without silencing the "b" instead of the common pronounciation "suttel". The pronounciation is odd enough by itself, but if you look on all the maps, the official name of the place is Moore's Spring! :D

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Well, it isn't a location, but it is a regional pronunciation. Apparently Upstate New York is the only place where people pronounce "elementary" as el-em-en-TAIR-ee. The rest of the world says el-em-en-TREE. Same with complimentary.

My husband still makes fun of me for the way I say it, but since it is the way I was taught and the way everyone around me always said it, I still say it that way. Even though I'm not in NY anymore!

Kayleigh

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
*chuckles about the subject*

There is a street here in Springfield that is spelled Kearny
DH and I when we moved of course pronounced it as ear like an well...ear
Folks here say it like Carney...like folks from sideshows :)

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Madrid, Neb. Pronounced MAD-rid
Kearney, Neb. Pronounced CAR-nee
Norfolk, Neb. Pronounced NOR-fork
Juniata, Neb. Pronounced June-i-ET-a (though we do have a "Wauneta")
Schuyler, Neb. Pronounced SKY-ler

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
*chuckles about the subject*

There is a street here in Springfield that is spelled Kearny
DH and I when we moved of course pronounced it as ear like an well...ear
Folks here say it like Carney...like folks from sideshows :)
Kearny, NJ is pronounced "Carney" too. Our worst is that we pronounce Newark(as in can your airport let 8 terrorists thru security on 9/11?)...as "Nork"(rhymes with Pork). Other states pronounce their Newarks as New Ark.

With the "slaughtered French words"...my dh is from Minnesota, and they have a cabin 'up north' on a lake they call "homm-a-dew". This French speaking fussbudget about fainted when I saw the sign "Welcome to Lake L'Hommedieu".

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My town - Colville - is pronounced Call-ville - except by strangers & newcomers, who call it Cole-ville. We finally got the pronunciation right after about a month.

And then there are the French names, which I still have to think about before butchering. :rolleyes:

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Louisville, KY. Properly pronounced "loo-vul."

I don't know why, but I do this with other "villes" too. Like Sharonville = Sharonvul. Tylersville = Tollarsvul. Centerville = Centervul.

I've heard people pronounce Cincinnati as "Cincinnatuh."

And (I do this) window = "winduh."

I miss Cincinnati. Up north here in Dayton, everyone talks accent-free, like a news anchor.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Madrid, Neb. Pronounced MAD-rid
Kearney, Neb. Pronounced CAR-nee
Norfolk, Neb. Pronounced NOR-fork
Juniata, Neb. Pronounced June-i-ET-a (though we do have a "Wauneta")
Schuyler, Neb. Pronounced SKY-ler
There's a Madrid in NY that's pronounced MAD-rid, too.

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
ha ha - don't get me started

Mare Jean Bott - pronounced "mah-jee-bo"

Plat Cotil pronounced "pee-a-coh-tee"

Saye pronounced "soy or soya"

Longis pronunced "lon-jee"

I could go on all day LOL - I grew up here and for me it was more of a revelation learning how some of these things were spelt than how they were said - but it can be quite funny listening to how some incomers try to say them ;)

hoggie ;)

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Conneaut - I would think it was Kuh-NO but its pronounced KON-eee-at , that was in PA

Barre = Barry, not Bar

Leicester = Lester

Worcester = Wooster

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Much like mis-pronouncing coyote as ki-YO-tee (rather than the proper KI-yote), pronouncing a creek as CREEK, rather than CRICK, will instantly brand you as a non-local. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
We have a little town down the road a piece which is named Kennedy. The locals in our county call it Ken-ner-dy. No way would it be pronounced any other way. My last name is the same so you know how they address me. Mrs Ken-ner-dy

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Buena Vista, NJ--It is in Atlantic County, and NO, it is NOT pronounced "BWAY-NAH", it "BU-NAH" (long U )

water--"wooter" or "wader" depending on what part of South Jersey you are from

roof--"ROOF" with a long O, not RUFF

route--pronounced "ROOT", not "ROW-TE"...as in "ROOT" 47. LOL, how many times did the girls at work in Virginia look at me funny when I gave someone directions!

Oh, I am going to have to think about this one...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I miss Cincinnati. Up north here in Dayton, everyone talks accent-free, like a news anchor.

Come a little further north to Lima...I think we are about as accent-less as you can get :)

And for anybody not from around here, it is pronounced "l-I-ma", not "leema"!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Buena Vista, NJ--It is in Atlantic County, and NO, it is NOT pronounced "BWAY-NAH", it "BU-NAH" (long U )

water--"wooter" or "wader" depending on what part of South Jersey you are from

roof--"ROOF" with a long O, not RUFF

route--pronounced "ROOT", not "ROW-TE"...as in "ROOT" 47. LOL, how many times did the girls at work in Virginia look at me funny when I gave someone directions!
Those all sound perfectly normal to me :rotfl: I almost spit my WAHDER on the keyboard ;)
The "typical" Joisey accent is really more of a modified Brooklynese....I'm goin' to have cawfee and tawk wid my friend Ant'ny. (TonyE just laughed out loud and doesn't know why ;) )
In my area, there are lots of both Italians and Jews, so we tend to use Yiddish words in everyday conversation, and pronounce things the Italian way.
The cheese you put on pizza? Moo-tsa-rell(rolled "r")
The creamy cheese in lasagne? Rih-gott (and if you use cottage cheese, we will have to have a tawk)
Your older man/mentor advisor(not nec. a relative)? Goombah
Something weird happens? Madone(short for Madonna Mia, pronounced like Mah-rohn(rolled r, even though there's no r) or just "Oy vey"
Hind Quarters: Touchas (with that phlegm noise in the middle)
Family: Mispucha (again, with the phlegm noise)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts