Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres a thought. we've all seen a lot of threads on wells, gathering water from lakes and streams etc. So i was thinking, usually a dangerous thing i know, waaaaay back in the day when the western part of Canada was being homesteaded and farmed for the first time by white men there were many areas with deep water tables, no too near streams etc. many folks had property that was rolling or hilly so they made dams on the slopes that went across the face of the slope and had on the endssort of wing dams that went up hill till they faded into the hill creating a large catchment area to catch and hold water during the wet winters and springs also catching and holding snow melt for when the dry summers came and allowed them to water the stock, the primary stock at least in really dry years.

something to think about.

dean

·
Registered
561 Posts
We have an area we are planning to build a pond. As it is right now and we get lots of rain, the run off in this one particular area runs down our property across the road, (where a small concrete bridge thingy was built years ago) and the rain water feeds into a creek! So we will build it up on the low side to catch all the runoff for our livestock. It is hard to describe but when we look at this area we invision a pond there, it is a natural contour of the land for a catchment project.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I believe that the Natural Resources Conservation Service does cost share, when they have funds available, for stock water catchment ponds such as you describe.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Some states will build a pond or water catchment system on your property. Missouri used to do it when I lived up there. The catch is that you must give blanket permission for public fishing in it. That was what stopped me from having one built. I didn't want to give a blanket permission for strangers to enter my property any time they wanted to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts