OD from NE Texas, tell me more.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Tell me more about the walls in your photo below. I have about 1500 board feet of rough-sawn oak amd birch and an unfinished basement. Do you have more photos of this room? Did you plane one side of each board so the boards were the same thickness? Tell me more....

[​IMG]

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No, we didn't plane the boards for the walls. They are kiln-dried, rough sawn birch, & we put them up just like they came from the sawmill. The ceilings are tin that was salvaged from a broiler house that caved in during an ice storm.
    There was enough planed oak left to do the kitchen walls, & we used concrete nails to put them up.
    I'm sorry the picture is so fuzzy, there must be something wrong with my camera.
    [​IMG]

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Do you have drywall behind the boards or some other subsheet?

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No, it has a tounge & grove sheetrock on the outside, underneath the siding, & plastic over the insulation on the inside.

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Sorry for so many questions, but the roof tin, is that the outside layer that I see? In other words is there any insulation in the roof against heat or condensation?

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No, that is just the ceiling. There is 8 inches of insulation above the tin, & a sheet metal roof.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................OD , I was viewing your round support beam and it looks like you ran it across a table saw and cut a flat surface at the same pitch as the tin on the ceiling , or maybe it is completely round and i'm just seeing things . At any rate it is a great looking western motif . fordy... :)

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Thanks for the photo, OD. Your place is great!!!! We are seriously considering finishing our basement just like your photo....with the rough-sawn boards we have.