October 2017 Tightwad Tips and Thrifty Hacks

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by wr, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

At the son's house the other day for a party and they were throwing aluminum cans in
    the garbage. The ones with a nickel deposit. I questioned this and he said it was a party
    and the clean up would be easier this way. So me, the one who can't stand to see money
    thrown away, got a empty plastic bag and put the cans in it to take home. Son says,
    Mom, I have a bunch of bags, full of cans in the my storage unit, do you want them ?
    Sure I said, I will take them back to a store for a refund.
    So I took his 6 bags and the one I had here in to get those nickels back. If I took them
    to a regular store, it would be only the nickel. But I took them to a bottle redemption
    place and they pay 6 cents. And on Wednesdays, they pay 7 cents per can / bottle.
    So I had over 300 cans. So by waiting till the 7 cent day, that is $ 6 additional money
    versus taking them to regular store. Son has 4 more bags now, he will drop off this
    week sometime. He brings them home from his work place. Hey, it works for me :)

TEXKAT, ldc, grannygardner and 8 others like this.
  2. alida

alida Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, over $20 cash back based on your numbers, that's a nice amount of grocery money. Good of your son to gather them from work for you, too. When we were kids we'd make extra cash picking up empty beer bottles people threw out their windows into the ditches,especially on weekends. Each bottle was worth 5 cents at the time - and two bottles equaled one chocolate bar. Now there are deposits on wine and alcohol bottles of 10-20 cents,and on beer cans, I think and and it's rare to see empties on streets and roads.

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.

3. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

USING UP SMALL TOOTHPASTE TUBES THAT I FOUND UNDER DH'S BATHROOM SINK...HE GETS THEM EVRYTIME HE GOES TO DENTIST..ENOUGH PASTE, FLOSS ETC TO LAST ANOTHER 6 MTHS AT LEAST. ONE LESS THING TO BUY FOR A WHILE. I CUT OPEN THE TUBES AND USE WHATS LEFT INSIDE,,,WAY MORE THAN YOU'D THINK.

bugstabber, MoBookworm1957 and amymcc like this.
  4. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

Good going with the cans. They add up.

ldc, MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  5. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

The lady I been buying eggs from temporarily has a lot of cans in bags on her deck and in a pile under a tree in her yard. I told her how I got rid of mine and where and what day to collect the most money for them. When I stop this week again, I will see if she got motivated and took them back. If not, maybe I can buy them from her at a nickel each, and turn them in for 7 cents each. Wonder if that will be worth my time. I know she said she did not like putting them in a machine to get her money back at the store. I will just take some plastic gloves along and a few big plastic garbage bags just in case I can get the deal. I have a full size pickup with a cap so no worry about cans blowing out of the truck bed. I'm sure my copilot, the basset won't tell on me. I'll get him a doggie bone from the dollar store to bride him, just in case :)
    Or maybe, I can swap her a few used rabbit cages, I am no longer using to get the cans. I seen her rabbit set up and I know she is in need of cages. I did swap some used cages this summer for some baby chicks :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. City Bound

lady if you go there regularly, off to take the cans back and split the money 50/50. that is fare enough, you have to do the dirty work. then you can bring her share when you go for eggs. then you can pick her bagged cans up every week, two weeks, or month depending on how she accumulates them.

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  7. amymcc

amymcc Well-Known Member

City Bound -
    I think etiquette dictates you have a year to give a wedding gift - so maybe it would help things financially to take the extra time to save up or look for a good deal on a unique gift. Also, with sweet 16's, are you really expected to go? I don't think you have to succumb to any pressure you feel to give a gift that's more than you can comfortably afford.

pixiedoodle and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  8. City Bound

I have never heard of the etiquette that it is ok to give a gift up to a year after the wedding. Interesting. What a lot of people do around these parts is give at least what the plate costs at the reception, basically to cover the cost. The cost of plate is rising, so I am not even sure if 100 covers that anymore. Some people are ok with getting regular gifts and some people are not and prefer the money. If every guest gives a 100 then the bride and groom are only left with about a six grand bill for a 22 grand party, which is more affordable. Unfortunately, there are a lot of social politics involved in these interactions and to save what can be many years of grief to come it is just cheaper to pay the 100 and spare oneself any grudges or reprisals.

One sweet 16 is in a hall and is going to be as elaborate and expensive as a wedding. The other party is going to be small, in the house, and selective to just the girls friends and immediate family. The second party I am not invited to but there is still a loose expectation for a gift. That person I can give less money to. The other party in the hall I am formally invited to and do to the scale and scope of the party I might be expected to give more. I can decline the offer but once again family politics comes into play and I may be forced to go just to keep face and diplomacy. I don't want to go to the party because the DJ is going to blast me out. The DJ blasted me out at the wedding and most parties with a DJ blast me out and hurt me ears. I ether have to go in ear plugs and suck it up or risk offending family by declining.

Basically, I hate parties and family gatherings because of the politics and cost involved.

TEXKAT and pixiedoodle like this.
  9. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I went out of town this week to visit sister in assisted living. Found two thrift stores in the little town and made some great buys. They were having $1 a bag day. I bought 9 like new cotton t-shirts for $1. I like to wear those under my sweatshirts in the winter time. I also got a plastic grocery bag full of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners and hand lotions for $1. I found three long sleeved slip over sweaters made of Orlon. They had a musty smell but otherwise were in great shape. After laundering them they smell fine.

I did some mending and sewing this week in exchange for a pickup load of firewood. The wood is smaller pieces than they guy's regular customers like but it works fine for using in our fireplace. I put a zipper in a insulated Carhart jacket and hemmed three pair of lined denim pants for the guy that mows lawns in our neighborhood. He paid me $40. I could have charged him more but this winter if there is more than an inch or two of snow he will come by and clean the drive at no charge.

10. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

dd found me a 2nd dog crate at her PT job at 40% off for my old poodle to sleep in at nite. i found enough leftover poly lining from outdoor lounge chairs to make a total cover for this crate like i made for the other crate 2 yrs ago. i left the door open last nite but she didn't go in it until we were up having coffee this morning... hope she decides to sleep in there tonite. free poly liner to me & minimal work to cover the dog crate, cheap crate as well. all are happy with winter sleeping quarters in the bedroom.

amymcc, City Bound and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I was going through the freezers to make room for more meat. I canned fruit sauce, using rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries & mulberries. (and sugar) I will enjoy taking it for lunch at work. I may just keep a couple there for "emergency" use. I used some hamburger and made summer sausage. That we sliced and vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.

This weekend I hope to make some freezer meals for my son and daughter in law. She is having a baby this month, and I thought that might help out.

12. amymcc

amymcc Well-Known Member

Ugh, I hate the politics around such things. Technically speaking, etiquette dictates you give a gift whether you show up at the wedding or not. It really isn't supposed to be about paying off your meal, but I am well familiar with the rationale there. And it is considered best practice to have the gift sent to the bride's home prior to the wedding. But you can only do what you can do! You can always get something from the registry - you don't have to throw in cash.

City Bound and pixiedoodle like this.
  13. amymcc

amymcc Well-Known Member

That is so sweet of you!

Jlynnp, pixiedoodle and grannygardner like this.
  14. amymcc

amymcc Well-Known Member

I clicked on homesteading questions instead of countryside families by mistake. There seems to be big drama and high tension over there. It spoke of the forum being a business - is that accurate?

pixiedoodle likes this.
  15. City Bound

Scrounged up some dinner tonight. Left over spaghetti, pickled tomatoes, and I tossed a
    That controversy is pretty old by now. Yes, the site was bought by a company years ago. It was privately owned by a homesteader who then eventually sold it when he moved out of the country.

It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

It is still a nice place to come to talk about frugal-ing.

alida and pixiedoodle like this.
  16. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Stopped at Kroger yesterday to pick up some sale items and as I was leaving they were moving mums around just outside the door. The lady asked if I would like some free mums that had already bloomed and needed to be deadheaded. I looked at them and they all had lots of green buds on them that will still bloom this year. I took 12 and another lady took 12. There were still about two dozen plants there. When I got home, after unloading everything and putting groceries away I deadheaded all the plants. I called the man I get firewood from and asked if he would like to have some and he came over to get 6 mums and brought me two feedsacks full of kindling. I traded 3 to my neighbor lady for a skein of yarn and planted the remaining three.

17. alida

alida Well-Known Member Supporter

I admire your trading skills very much grannygardner. What luck to happen to be at Kroegers when they were trying to figure out what to do with those plants and then knowing how you could trade for things you needed. I live in a apartment so plants like that wouldn't over winter, but my family that do have houses often plant flower gifts after the blooms die away. I remember that my mother had a specific area in one of her gardens for plants that were gifts. Some didn't come back, but a surprising number of hyacinths,tulip and daffodils did in the spring, followed by hostas, mums, and even roses. One rose bush took off up the tv antenna tower every year, getting nearly a story high.

18. Kyrel

Kyrel Well-Known Member

On my way up to the Amish store today, I saw a solid real wood dresser with a free sign it. On the way back, we stopped and it was sooooo nice!! Looks to have been stored in barn (few spider webs-no smell). Just needs good wiping down and 1 drawer knob! Score!! edit: I really needed a dresser and was so blessed to find it for free =}

19. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Y
    You need to up your pepper game. They should produce as long as tomatoes, they are sensitive perennials. Keep them fed and watered and you just may be amazed. Try sweet conicals too. They produce and dry well, excellent frying and roasting.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  20. City Bound

made and jarred 22 jars of apple sauce today. First batch was very good. Second batch burned on the bottom of the pot and did not come out as good. I made the mistake of sitting down for a cup of coffee while waiting for the apples to come to a simmer. I was so tired by then, my focus was off.

Saved the scraps and made a gallon of apple juice from them. There were so many scraps I could have made four gallons of juice but I was too tired and there were already too many things to clean up by that time. Anyway, good to know for the future and I will consider doing that again. Sealed the juice in half gallon ball jars.