Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Moly.
I was in the local WM and decided rather than rushing home to defrost some burger for supper, I'd just grab a pound there, and finish a few more errands.
I'll admit it has been at least a year or so since I bought any meat in the store.
You'll note that I'm home.
$4.98 a pound for 80/20? Seriously????
I about fell out when I saw that. Good grief!
Time to start weighing the steers again...How do you people who don't have your own eat?:huh:

Reactions: OUVickie and Jo

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Meat is usually a daily part of the menu here, more for DH than myself. We do a portion control on the amount which helps with the total daily cost. The two of us usually share one steak/fillet/chicken breast/etc and within the context of a full meal with vegetables it's filling and enough.

About once every 3 months DH buys a 10 lb quantity of ground beef and makes that stretch into about 15 to 20 meals to put into the freezer. Some of the freezer meals he makes are spaghetti meat sauce, hot dog sauce, bbq meatballs, mini meatloaves, stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls, chili, sloppy joes, and usually patties out about 2 to 4 small hamburgers for grilling. Each meal usually has about a half pound of ground beef and is made to serve 2 to 4 people.

Also, about twice a month we buy a roasted deli chicken and use it for meals and to make chicken stock to freeze for use in soups/casseroles. Other protein sources used are fresh eggs when we have a supplier, limited amount of cheese, and wild game/fresh fish when available. In cool weather there's usually a pot of pinto beans simmering either in the house or out in the shop kitchen and there's always a fresh batch of cornbread to eat with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We don't eat beef very much and for ground beef, we usually eat turkey burger in it's place since it's cheaper here right now.

We aren't raising enough of our own this year to avoid meat costs but hopefully next spring we will be raising our own chickens and rabbits for meat and by fall, our own goats. We can't raise a cow but if I come across a good deal for a whole or half, I'll be buying one of those up too.

We don't have much land for livestock so I'm trying to consolidate what I can. We're considering a smaller hog breed or buying a couple cheap piglets each year and raising them up to a comfortable size. I've heard some success with pot bellies, as long as you grow them slowly.

But for now, we bulk with veggie proteins and eat a lot of bird. :(

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I got 85% lean a few months ago.. got it for $3.29 a pound, so I bought 25 pounds and froze it up into one pound blocks with the vac seal...

Was just at the store today and looked.. 80% was 3.59 a pound..

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
I don't think it's really any cheaper to raise our own, but it sure is better and since you pay for that animal's costs over time, and then get the processing out of the way all at once, by the time you start using it out of the freezer it just feels like it's "free" or at least "cheap" because the costs are in the past and not on that month's grocery tab.

When you consider it takes over a year to turn a steer into beef, closer to two years in a lot of cases - versus a few weeks for a chicken and a few months for a pig, THOSE meats are the ones that are overpriced by comparison. Especially since they are "juiced", you are paying for retained water or their "special solutions". And, has anybody noticed that a package of ground turkey now comes with a list of "ingredients"? Ewwww.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I don't like the "juiced" meats because, among other things, it usually raises the sodium level. I buy gold n plump whole chicken but I don't think they are injected. Not positive, though.

Still eat beef but much less and better quality. I wonder how much beef is being exported out of the country... :shrug:

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
The US both imports and exports beef.

If you look at the nutrition profile, beef (and other red meats like bison and venison) have iron, zinc, b-vitamins that pork and poultry do not provide.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Around here, Thursday is a good day to go shopping for meat of any kind. That's the day the grocery stores discount their "nearly expired" meats, to make room for the Friday morning shipments for the weekend rush.

I can get organic free-range boneless/skinless chicken thighs for about $1.45/pound, or organic whole chickens for $0.69/pound on those days. I can also usually get pork chops of varying thicknesses for under $2/pound, and varying cuts of beef are usually around $3.50/pound. I have to either cook or freeze it right away, but it's the only way to find affordable meats sometimes :shrug:

Most stores around here run specials on boneless/skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/pound often enough that you can pretty much count on that price. Bone-in and skin-covered chicken thighs are usually around $0.99/pound. Ground beef has gone up, 80/20 in those 5-pound "mystery" tubes used to be just around $10-11, now they're closer to $14. If you want decent ground beef, it's gonna cost you a significant amount more than that :hohum:

My DH is a big protein man, and non-animal proteins don't count :rolleyes: He can eat several pounds of meat a day easily, so I try to buy what I can at a lower price to keep the budget in line.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I only buy beef when it is on sale....like hamburger meat I buy 20 to 30 lbs at a time( I buy from a small mom and pop store and their beef is delicious)..i can some, cook and freeze some and then just freeze some for meatloaf and such. Month or so ago I paid 2.98 for ground chuck. And although we have our own chickens normally we only use them for eggs and I buy chicken breast from Sams's for 1.88 lb. I also raise rabbits and we eat them. My next batch I plan trying sausage with them and also ground. If the meat is not on sale or managers special I dont buy it except for fish.

·
Registered
456 Posts
we raise rabbits and chickens....and trade with a friend for goat....we also hunt and hope to put a couple of deer in the freezer this pretty much takes care of our meat. We did buy a 600 pound grass raised steer from friends one year. Processed it ourselves...ended up paying a little over a buck a pound once dressed. OH...did some trading on that deal to.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't buy meat unless it's on "about to expire" clearance, then vacu-seal in meal-size portions and freeze. I'm hopeful about next year - we should have lots of ducks to butcher, and some goats in the fall. They hardly eat any feed during the summer, just live off the pasture, so we should come out ahead, and it will be better tasting than the bargain basement stuff at any rate.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I can't cook right now so I started buying t.v. dinners. With the price of things, and since I'm single, I think I'm going to keep doing it. Just make sure I got some good vitamins to go with them.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'm in the city and can't raise my own beef so beef is a rare event here. Can't recall the last time I had a steak. Once in a blue moon if it is on sale we'll get a small roast. Sometimes roast on sale is less expensive than the hamburger. I can get a nice roast supper from it with leftovers for sandwiches or to make beef barley soup. We still buy chicken but that has gone way up in price, too. They used to have nice frozen chicken breasts that you could get in a bag but over the last couple years the quality has gone down so far I don't buy those anymore. So we eat lots of veggies. Lots and lots of veggies. We like fish and that is still reasonable, excepting something fancy like salmon from the meat counter. With all these veggies you would think I would be thinner. Probably too many carbs in my diet because it is cheaper than good quality beef or chicken.

Turkey legs make great soup. I made some bean and turkey soup last weekend and it was delicious! When the Thanksgiving turkeys go on sale I will buy several for the freezer.

My brothers go deer hunting and they'll share with us, which is a blessing for sure.

Eggs are still a good deal in terms of protein.

Seems like most sources of protein are going up up up. Even beans, compared to what they used to be, are through the roof.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have a friend who goes to stores that don't sell much organic chicken and writes down the expiration dates from the packages. She heads back over to that store the day before the sell by date and snags it after it's marked down. Pretty smart, IMO. Wish I had that kind of time. Best I can do on chicken is to buy the organic drumsticks at $ 1.99 lb and pick the meat off. I simmer the bones in some water for stock and use up those scrawny legs for all they are worth. Organic isn't ideal but at least the soy it's jacked up on isn't GMO - or so I tell myself.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I am so glad we ahve our own. We bought a steer last December from my brother. It ended up costing us around $3.50 per lb by the time it was all butchered & done. Not much in the store you can buy for less than that. We get to eat good roasts & steaks for that price. I recently bought a small heifer from him that was injured & had it all ground into burger. I told him we will need another beef right around Christmas again. He also started raising pigs which I will get from him now. We always bought our pigs from a neighbor & usually get one every year. We raise chickens & rabbits for meat.

I thank God everyday for allowing me to be able to raise or locally buy our meat. We could never afford it from the store.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There is a restaurant supply store near my work that sells IBP beef for around 3 dollars the case and pork for less than 2. I know its feedlot meat but at that price me and my kitchen aid meat grinder eat pretty well if I don't do a pig that year.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts