Obsessive Compulsive Rabbits .... colony

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Thatch, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

So my colony system is going well. Rabbits are well set in, first litter is underground and I should be seeing them in a couple more weeks. They have built a large burrow that goes down a good 3 feet and back about 6' before disappearing around a curve. There really aren't any problems per say, just some odd behavior.

They started several burrows, projects that were abandoned after only about 6" of digging (must take after their owner). I didn't think much about it until work started up again on these forgotten works. Probably a month later they start back up on two of them and dug them to similar depths as their main burrow. Then after they get rather deep into them the same rabbit that dug them suddenly starts filling one of them back up... manages to push all of the dirt back into place, packing it in well and laying straw back over the filled hole when complete. A day later after the 2nd burrow was dug even deeper that rabbit started filling up that burrow as well, complete with straw covering.

Now as I stated this isn't really a problem and they can build what ever they want in there if it keeps em happy (and ultimately tasty). Other than the fact that I have some concern of this corp of engineers rabbit I have filling up the tunnel with the litter in it I'm not too concerned. I was however curious if anyone else that raises in a colony has seen similar sort of behaviors in their rabbits.

Anyone have a rabbit psychologist to send over? :)

J

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Have you gotten the ink blots out and discussed them with your rabbits yet? ;)

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I have a flemmish doe that does that. She got one tunnel that went a few feet out from the pen she was in. I made sure she didn't go up to get out. Well, afte I put boards above ground to discourage her digging out, she never even went that far, and started filling in the hole!

I think she just likes to dig, and being on the ground and not in a hutch, there is more waste collecteion, so I truely believe she is moving it around and burrying it.

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

We had a doe that did that. That animal was (bleeping) nuts, she'd dig all day, and then fill it in, and then she'd try and run down it and looked quite shocked when she saw that it was filled up. She did other weird stuff too. She ate her babies. Her fur would fall out in these big bald patches, and then grow back, and then fall out in the exact same spots (her name was "Patches"). She was also the most spastic animal I've ever seen. She was ugly too. Pure black, a long nose, and eyes that bulged everytime they saw a person. Anyways, I gave her to a classmate as a friend for her neutered buck, and the girl was absolutely thrilled with the bloody thing. I was just thrilled to get rid of it.

As far as psychologists go, my dad is always telling me to give them couselling so their will crap in their litter box. :rolleyes:

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Interesting thing is... this is a buck. Aw well, he's only got another couple weeks to practice his bizarre behavior and then it's the stewpot for 'em.

Interesting that you mention the does name (and it's obvious origin). I was just going over the "names" for the colony rabbits with my wife. They aren't really pet names as much as descriptive. Papillon the escapee and boss, Roman, the rabbit with the huge head and roman nose, Greek, looks like Roman but with less power (same markings but low man on the social totem pole) and Mom (the most recent doe to give birth). I'm not one to get tied up with meat animals having "names" especially when they are simply descriptive to help in conversation. The naming just sort of happens to some of them as the need arises.

J