Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some bananas that were well past their prime, so I decided to make banana nut pancakes. I wish I could post smells!

I've gotten into a bad habit of cooking big batches of soup or stir fry. Something I can cook a lot of and eat from for numerous days, because it is depressing to not have someone else to cook for/eat with.

Answering the thread about eating out made me realize I eat out a lot because I hate cooking for one. So I am making an effort to try and cook something special for me. I still cooked a big batch so I could use all of the bananas. I'm freezing the extras for future breakfasts.

One of these fresh out of the pan with a bit of honey drizzled on it....drool!

Whiterock called while I was makin em and allowed as to how he thought he could smell em over at his place :D

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been saying that I want to experiment more with making flat breads. Wonder if these qualify :D

I am going to make something this evening. Haven't decided if it will be naan or corn tortillas. Need to figure out what I'll make with it.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Those look and sound yummy! I know what you mean, I would also make large pots of soup, chili, spaghetti, etc., and then eat on them for days. It is just easier when you live alone. I also used to eat out way too much, but stopped mainly because the quality kept going down while the prices went up, and they'd get my order wrong at least 50% of the time, but I also just craved "real" food so much!

So I started canning more individual meals that I can heat up, add some veggies or rice, etc., and have a meal as quick as fast food. I also cook those big batches, but then freeze them in individual containers so they can be reheated quickly. And about once a week or so I make it a point to cook something nice and sit down to china, flowers, candles, and music and have a "real" meal. It really has made a difference in my food fatigue and in my mood...and I figure I'm worth it, lol! :)

On another thread somewhere talking about masa you mentioned to someone about asking you for specific recipes. I know I'm not that someone, but do you have a good recipe for pork tamales? When I lived in California we got the best recipe for them, but I've lost it somewhere along the way. I can't remember any specifics, but you talking about making your masa reminded me because we did it just like you said and it jogged my memory. The pork tamales, chile Colorado that we would roll up into burritos and pancit (a Filipino friend of my brother's taught us this one) were my three favorite dishes learned in California.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i gained 5# just looking at that picture....lol

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got to go pick up some axes. As soon as I get back I will share what I know about making tamales and masa.

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
you can never have too many axes. I've got 5 in here and more than that in the country. I got one in the car and one in my bedroom case I get stuck in there and can't get out . several in the shed. ~Georgia.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
she needs more axes because she is taking up throwing them as a hobby?? I think she wants to throw them at the feral hogs. lol.

Reactions: TxMex and tambo

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Some Axes"

Even an ax Murderer seldom needs more than one? Tell us the story. Don't know how to sharpen and ax, keeping spares? Got big plans for your next date?

LOL, girl; you must be something extra.

:rotfl: Oh Lordy! Laughed until tears came to my eyes! It never occurred to me that it might sound odd!

As a matter of fact I am very good at sharpening axes. It's just plumb relaxing to sit down in front of a wood stove and work the edge of an ax with a file. I sharpen my chainsaw blades myself too.

My good axes ended up over at my exes.

Something extra :hysterical:

·
Registered
726 Posts
"Some Axes"

Even an ax Murderer seldom needs more than one? Tell us the story. Don't know how to sharpen and ax, keeping spares? Got big plans for your next date?

LOL, girl; you must be something extra.
you can never have too many axes. I've got 5 in here and more than that in the country. I got one in the car and one in my bedroom case I get stuck in there and can't get out . several in the shed. ~Georgia.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOFlX4MfPQ[/ame]

Reactions: Twp.Tom

·
Registered
726 Posts
:rotfl: Oh Lordy! Laughed until tears came to my eyes! It never occurred to me that it might sound odd!

As a matter of fact I am very good at sharpening axes. It's just plumb relaxing to sit down in front of a wood stove and work the edge of an ax with a file. I sharpen my chainsaw blades myself too.

My good axes ended up over at my exes.

Something extra :hysterical:

Do you ever reprofile them to thinner faces? One of my outdoors writer heroes, Calvin Rutstrum, mentioned thinning the blades back from the face to give them better cutting efficiency. Reading how he used axes, he seems to have had a very good idea how to use them. I seem to recall him writing that the first 6 strokes should pop out a chip that would cover an ordinary bucket, and be a great part of the way through a 12" log.

The pancakes sound great!

I found some stuff last spring called Kodiak Cakes, which are supposed to be more nutritious and hold you over longer than ordinary pancakes. They say they have brought back an old time recipe, when pancakes were more of a meal than fluff.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Georgia; I don't use axes much any more and two are enough for me; a pole axe and a double bitted axe, and they leave for the auction today.

Tex; good for you on the chain saw. When I realized how much metal the auto electric sharpeners were taking off I started filing my own. They last much longer that way and I can file one in ten minutes. A broken tooth,, a nail, a piece of wire---no matter, the chain still cuts and I'm not shut down to change chains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts