Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,437 Posts
Moonriver ( in my opinion) is talking about the sustained long-term and then the maintenance of weight loss that for so many people is not just about reducing calories but the mental part of hunger as well.

I don't agree with all of his opinions on how best to do this but I can discuss it without the bashing.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Moonriver ( in my opinion) is talking about the sustained long-term and then the maintenance of weight loss that for so many people is not just about reducing calories but the mental part of hunger as well.

I don't agree with all of his opinions on how best to do this but I can discuss it without the bashing.
No, he was talking about ways to mitigate the effects of Covid on obese people and thread drift took it to how to lose weight.
it was claimed by him and you that calorie restriction does not work on all and the fact is that it does.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
So Americans are just a bunch of victims of genetics? Give me a break
Genetics, endocrine system out of whack, etc. Odd though, these issues have only become widespread in the past thirty or forty years. Stranger still...they coincide with major national dietary trends. Probably a coincidence though.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Slow down when you're eating and listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs and when you are truly hungry, rather than just mouth hungry. It amazes me how fast people eat these days, how can they tell when they're full?

Reactions: exodus

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Calorie restriction on it's own does not work for everyone because their metabolism slows down. Then they need to eat less and it continues. It is a cycle that depends on your hormone system.

Intermittent fasting works better because your hormones don't get used to a set point. It actually works best if every so often you eat one full day, or you vary your eating windows. Your body can handle long periods of not eating ( several hours or a day or two) after you have worked up to it. You reset your hunger system and break the mental cycle of eating because your brain instead of your hormones telling you to.
Lets lock you in a room and let you live off of your magic hormones for a while and take some scale readings. I predict that math and science will win this argument, and pretty simple math and science at that.

Reactions: JeffreyD

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Weight loss reminds me of a saying about growing a tree. The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The next best time to plant a tree is today.

189 Posts
Please open your own weight loss clinic and let's see how successful you are, as you are one more with all the answers. Or better yet, why don't all of you go in together and open a chain.
If you do not care for yourself, why should I or others?

Covid likes people who do not care.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Obesity - or just being very overweight - makes every illness more dangerous and the effects worse. Our world has changed so much when it comes to weight that it is shocking. All you have to do is look at film from the past decades 40s 50s 60s and 70s and you hardly - if ever - see an overweight person let alone an obese one. Certainly not in children

Today the number of overweight and obese people you see everywhere is shocking and well over 50% of the population. And the most concerning thing for me is how people are just accepting it and it has now become the norm. I struggled with being over weight for a part of my life but never accepted that this was normal and the way it should be. I still do not accept this as I know the physical cost to the body that it has caused me and others I know who are overweight and obese. Losing weight is very difficult because your body wants to store calories for a rainy day. This is in our DNA. The best way to lose weight is to be vigilant and not gain it. This too is very hard but it can be done.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Obesity - or just being very overweight - makes every illness more dangerous and the effects worse. Our world has changed so much when it comes to weight that it is shocking. All you have to do is look at film from the past decades 40s 50s 60s and 70s and you hardly - if ever - see an overweight person let alone an obese one. Certainly not in children

Today the number of overweight and obese people you see everywhere is shocking and well over 50% of the population. And the most concerning thing for me is how people are just accepting it and it has now become the norm. I struggled with being over weight for a part of my life but never accepted that this was normal and the way it should be. I still do not accept this as I know the physical cost to the body that it has caused me and others I know who are overweight and obese. Losing weight is very difficult because your body wants to store calories for a rainy day. This is in our DNA. The best way to lose weight is to be vigilant and not gain it. This too is very hard but it can be done.
saw this a while back:

”I'm amazed by people who lose weight w exercise. When I exercise nothing happens bc my DNA still thinks I'm a European peasant. So it's like "Oh! Are we running from the English again, lass? Dinnae ye worry: we'll keep ye plump as a partridge to outlast the murderous bastards!"

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
LOL! Yes, studies are slowly showing that once you gain the weight your body wants to hang on to it for future need and even exercise gets treated like the enemy.

But the reality is that the only way to lose weight is to eat less and move more. Eating less was often not a choice for our ancestors as they ran out of game or foods to harvest (wild or domestic) before the next growing season and of course they did not have the excellent storage for food that we have today. And hunter gatherers were moving all the time as were humans who eventually became farmers - all manual labour.

I finally lost all the extra weight by eating less ( a lot less) and walking miles every day. Choosing healthy foods (it is actually quite easy to identify these) and strictly monitoring portions worked for me over a two year period. Better slowly so that the new habits form than trying to get it done quickly. No other way of trying to lose weight worked or lasted.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Because if you don't do research, you might say something dumb.

6 Years after The Biggest Loser, Metabolism Is Slower and Weight Is Back Up
Six years after dramatic weight loss on the TV show "The Biggest Loser," most contestants in a recent study had regained the pounds - and on top of that, their metabolism had slowed and they were burning fewer calories every day than they did before their stint on the show. Scientific American

Or if you want the original study - Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after The Biggest Loser competition
Conclusions
Metabolic adaptation persists over time and is likely a proportional, but incomplete, response to contemporaneous efforts to reduce body weight.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a biological component to this that could be considered permanent damage done by obesity. Perhaps once your body has HAD to pack all those calories into fat cells it becomes more efficient to do so, thus after the rapid weight loss the body may be more primed to do it again.

But I think a greater problem would be the psychiatric/pschological problems associated with those who are morbidly obese, and even more so anyone who would go on such a show.

If Calories in > calories out, then weight goes up.

If calories out > calories in, then weight goes down.

It really is that simple, even if it isn't that easy.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a biological component to this that could be considered permanent damage done by obesity. Perhaps once your body has HAD to pack all those calories into fat cells it becomes more efficient to do so, thus after the rapid weight loss the body may be more primed to do it again.

But I think a greater problem would be the psychiatric/pschological problems associated with those who are morbidly obese, and even more so anyone who would go on such a show.

If Calories in > calories out, then weight goes up.

If calories out > calories in, then weight goes down.

It really is that simple, even if it isn't that easy.
Except as the study pointed out, calories out is extremely complicated.

189 Posts
so you’re saying that if an obese person was locked in a cage and fed a diet of say…1200 calories a day, the prisoner wouldn’t lose weight?
That his body could just continue on at the same weight forever on 1200 calories a day?
Couldn't stop laughing when I read this.

It is so obviously true, yet people just dance around it.

Give me a break, take responsibility for yourselves and your actions.

Own who you are. Lisa in WA I agree with you. It is ludicrous what people say

(oh, just to be sure, I AM NOT PERFECT, I am not nearly so good as I think I am, I try though).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Everybody knows the only way to lose weight is buying gym memberships and exercise equipment. If it doesn't seem to be working,, buy more. It works by osmosis.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts