Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Reality TV is not realistic. Neither are fad diets, or groups of foods listed as good. It must be sustainable to work. What is sustainable is learning how much fuel your body needs and eating a tiny bit less than that when you need to lose weight.

189 Posts
We all know there is a correlation between obesity and the severity of Covid-19. The experts say lose weight, like those of us who are overweight never thought of that.

I did some research to see if I could find why there is this relationship. Of course, there are comorbidities that go along with being obese, but the studies indicate that obesity even without comorbidities is correlated to severe covid-19.

Here are the 4 factors I was able to identify (there are probably more):
  • Inflammation - Obesity is associated with chronic inflammation in the body
    • (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5507106/)
  • Cardio Fitness - Obesity is associated with increased cardiovascular risk
    • (https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2018/3407306/)
  • Blood Clots - Obesity is a risk factor for blood clots
    • (https://mybariatriclife.org/obesity-risk-for-deadly-blood-clots/)
  • ACE2 Receptors - Obese people appear to have more ACE2 receptors than non-obese
    • (https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200714/why-obesity-may-stack-the-deck-for-covid-19-risk)
I wanted to know what I can do starting right now that lowers my risk.

Inflammation - A way to measure inflammation in the body is with the HS-CRP (not CRP) lab test. Probably through genetics, my level of inflammation is usually low. I can drive it even lower by going on a low inflammation diet. Some foods are inflammatory and some are anti-inflammatory. Going on a low inflammation diet might help reduce a person's level of inflammation.

Cardio Fitness - Severe Covid-19 is associated with breathing problems. If you are obese, you are more likely to have a lower level of cardio fitness. People tend to think cardio exercise, but breathing techniques and meditation can also help.

Blood Clots - We know blood clots are a problem with some Covid-19 patients. Some foods appear to be able to reduce the risk for blood clots. Walking seems to reduce the risk of blood clots. For drugs that may help, talk to your doctor.

ACE2 Receptors - This is how the SARS-COV2 virus gets into the cells. Obese people appear to have more ACE2 receptors. That implies more viruses can get into the cells. Blockers may help so you should discuss that with your doctor. For me, I think this is where Ivermectin comes into play as it interferes with the virus getting into the cells.

Ivermectin Docks to the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Receptor-binding Domain Attached to ACE2
Ivermectin Docks to the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Receptor-binding Domain Attached to ACE2 - PubMed

So if you are obese or even just overweight, or a friend or family member is, there may be some things that will reduce the risk of severe covid-19, whether you are vaccinated or not.

I am only sharing with you the research I did and the action I am going to take that I think will reduce my chance of having a case of severe Covid-19. Please do your own research. This is only a starting point for your research.

Not being a jerk here but just pointing out the obvious: JUST LOOK INTO THE MIRROR. We all know what is. If you are, do something about it. I may not be easy.

189 Posts
Those villagers also live very close to where their parents grew up and their grandparents and their grandparents grew up. That's good for one's genes. They also eat the same food their mother ate and her mother ate, that's also good for their genes. They spend a lot more time outside close to nature, good for their health. What that means is they don't experience the environmental stressors people in the West do.

It's not just what they eat.
Life in most of the world is tough. There is not a lot of excess. Our life and challenges are for soft people.

189 Posts
My point is producing more melatonin is genetic. Because blacks lived in a geographic location with blistering sunlight, they developed genetic protection against it. Move them to a different location with less sunlight, and the positive becomes a negative.

The same happens with the foods one's ancestors ate and the soil and climate it was grown in.
So Americans are just a bunch of victims of genetics? Give me a break

189 Posts
If you want to get healthy, start acting healthy. Make the choice, it doesn't need to be complicated. First, go for a walk, 10 minutes, when you get up. Cook your own food, leave some on the plate for tomorrow, OR NOT. Your choice, but not my responsibility.

Maybe this comorbility is how nature is resetting. Darwin does promote the fittest.

189 Posts
Those villagers also live very close to where their parents grew up and their grandparents and their grandparents grew up. That's good for one's genes. They also eat the same food their mother ate and her mother ate, that's also good for their genes. They spend a lot more time outside close to nature, good for their health. What that means is they don't experience the environmental stressors people in the West do.

It's not just what they eat.
So you have sooo many reasons not to loose weight, how about HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT? Or you can die.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
A test. Whatever you normally eat, cut the portions in half. Walk two miles every day. Do this for ninety days. If you don't loose weight call up Barnum and Baily, they will have a job for you.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So you have sooo many reasons not to loose weight, how about HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT? Or you can die.
Please open your own weight loss clinic and let's see how successful you are, as you are one more with all the answers. Or better yet, why don't all of you go in together and open a chain.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Please open your own weight loss clinic and let's see how successful you are, as you are one more with all the answers. Or better yet, why don't all of you go in together and open a chain.
You keep giving all the reasons everyone is wrong, but you won't answer a simple question. I contend that if you change nothing at all about what you are eating, but eat half as much from this point forward as you do on a normal day, you will lose weight, and rapidly. Do you agree with this or not?

Eating less every meal is harder for me than not eating at all for part of the day and then eating my regular sized dinner, so when I want to lose weight, I use intermittent fasting rather than eating the regular three meals a day but smaller meals. Fasting has extra benefits as well that are very well established. When a person starts fasting, it is uncomfortable, especially at their normal mealtimes. If you stay busy through those, it gets easier again. That tells me eating at certain times a day is more habit than actual hunger. If you decide to try intermittent fasting, many people have good results doing a 16 hour fast followed by 8 hours of time that they can eat. You have to guard against eating extra because "you're starving" if you do it that way. I do best if I fast 23 hours and eat 1. I fast all day except for my regular dinner time because that one works best for me. I don't do it every day even when I need to loss weight. I usually only do it two or three days a week and eat slightly less than normal on regular eating days.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
You keep giving all the reasons everyone is wrong, but you won't answer a simple question. I contend that if you change nothing at all about what you are eating, but eat half as much from this point forward as you do on a normal day, you will lose weight, and rapidly. Do you agree with this or not?

Eating less every meal is harder for me than not eating at all for part of the day and then eating my regular sized dinner, so when I want to lose weight, I use intermittent fasting rather than eating the regular three meals a day but smaller meals. Fasting has extra benefits as well that are very well established. When a person starts fasting, it is uncomfortable, especially at their normal mealtimes. If you stay busy through those, it gets easier again. That tells me eating at certain times a day is more habit than actual hunger. If you decide to try intermittent fasting, many people have good results doing a 16 hour fast followed by 8 hours of time that they can eat. You have to guard against eating extra because "you're starving" if you do it that way. I do best if I fast 23 hours and eat 1. I fast all day except for my regular dinner time because that one works best for me. I don't do it every day even when I need to loss weight. I usually only do it two or three days a week and eat slightly less than normal on regular eating days.
I know a guy who only eats at night. He's been doing it for ten years now. According to him that is all a human needs. Back in the cave days we spent all day looking for food. Then we brought it home and ate it.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,437 Posts
Calorie restriction on it's own does not work for everyone because their metabolism slows down. Then they need to eat less and it continues. It is a cycle that depends on your hormone system.

Intermittent fasting works better because your hormones don't get used to a set point. It actually works best if every so often you eat one full day, or you vary your eating windows. Your body can handle long periods of not eating ( several hours or a day or two) after you have worked up to it. You reset your hunger system and break the mental cycle of eating because your brain instead of your hormones telling you to.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Calorie restriction on it's own does not work for everyone because their metabolism slows down. Then they need to eat less and it continues. It is a cycle that depends on your hormone system.

Intermittent fasting works better because your hormones don't get used to a set point. It actually works best if every so often you eat one full day, or you vary your eating windows. Your body can handle long periods of not eating ( several hours or a day or two) after you have worked up to it. You reset your hunger system and break the mental cycle of eating because your brain instead of your hormones telling you to.
so you’re saying that if an obese person was locked in a cage and fed a diet of say…1200 calories a day, the prisoner wouldn’t lose weight?
That his body could just continue on at the same weight forever on 1200 calories a day?

61 - 80 of 125 Posts