Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know there is a correlation between obesity and the severity of Covid-19. The experts say lose weight, like those of us who are overweight never thought of that.

I did some research to see if I could find why there is this relationship. Of course, there are comorbidities that go along with being obese, but the studies indicate that obesity even without comorbidities is correlated to severe covid-19.

Here are the 4 factors I was able to identify (there are probably more):
  • Inflammation - Obesity is associated with chronic inflammation in the body
    • (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5507106/)
  • Cardio Fitness - Obesity is associated with increased cardiovascular risk
    • (https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2018/3407306/)
  • Blood Clots - Obesity is a risk factor for blood clots
    • (https://mybariatriclife.org/obesity-risk-for-deadly-blood-clots/)
  • ACE2 Receptors - Obese people appear to have more ACE2 receptors than non-obese
    • (https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200714/why-obesity-may-stack-the-deck-for-covid-19-risk)
I wanted to know what I can do starting right now that lowers my risk.

Inflammation - A way to measure inflammation in the body is with the HS-CRP (not CRP) lab test. Probably through genetics, my level of inflammation is usually low. I can drive it even lower by going on a low inflammation diet. Some foods are inflammatory and some are anti-inflammatory. Going on a low inflammation diet might help reduce a person's level of inflammation.

Cardio Fitness - Severe Covid-19 is associated with breathing problems. If you are obese, you are more likely to have a lower level of cardio fitness. People tend to think cardio exercise, but breathing techniques and meditation can also help.

Blood Clots - We know blood clots are a problem with some Covid-19 patients. Some foods appear to be able to reduce the risk for blood clots. Walking seems to reduce the risk of blood clots. For drugs that may help, talk to your doctor.

ACE2 Receptors - This is how the SARS-COV2 virus gets into the cells. Obese people appear to have more ACE2 receptors. That implies more viruses can get into the cells. Blockers may help so you should discuss that with your doctor. For me, I think this is where Ivermectin comes into play as it interferes with the virus getting into the cells.

Ivermectin Docks to the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Receptor-binding Domain Attached to ACE2
Ivermectin Docks to the SARS-CoV-2 Spike Receptor-binding Domain Attached to ACE2 - PubMed

So if you are obese or even just overweight, or a friend or family member is, there may be some things that will reduce the risk of severe covid-19, whether you are vaccinated or not.

I am only sharing with you the research I did and the action I am going to take that I think will reduce my chance of having a case of severe Covid-19. Please do your own research. This is only a starting point for your research.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
I would not be surprised to see the scale for what is considered to be obese adjusted sometime in the future, and not as one might think.
That is in spite of the obvious.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
We all know there is a correlation between obesity and the severity of Covid-19.
Along with the problems it causes itself, obesity seems to make everything worse.

The experts say lose weight, like those of us who are overweight never thought of that.
Some act as though they haven't.

I did some research to see if I could find why there is this relationship. Of course, there are comorbidities that go along with being obese, but the studies indicate that obesity even without comorbidities is correlated to severe covid-19.
I think when it comes to comorbidities, there may be less obvious and undiagnosed ones at play. Cardiovascular disease for example. We all know that the standard American diet is to blame. And, it is something that occurs over time, beginning in childhood and in the absence of obvious symptoms it goes unnoticed. But it is still developing. Early signs have been found in the arteries young children. It's reasonable to suspect that earlier stages of cardiovascular disease that have gone unnoticed could effect one's covid prognosis. This would be true for people of a healthy weight as well, I would think.

Reactions: exodus

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
When I was younger I traveled and worked all over the world. When you live in third world countries, and stay in remote villages for long periods of time, something you almost never see are fat people. You see big strong people, you see thin tough people, you see people whose weight is correct for there body structure. You see people who need to put on some weight, but you almost never see fat people. Something else you never see are fast food joints. People cook their food, and manage to get by on what they have. In many places in the third world, people only eat two times a day. They are probably a little bit hungry most of the time, but they aren't fat.

Americans as a group are fat, lazy, and blissfully ignorant. Health care providers are some of the worst. When was the last time you saw a nurse who wasn't over weight? Most doctors in the United States die before they reach sixty years old. Everyone knows they shouldn't eat so much, or eat junk food, yet they don't change their ways. Then when they get sick, they demand a pill that will make them feel better. Even when they are sick they don't change their eating habits, they just take a pill.

You can't fix stupid, with a pill.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was younger I traveled and worked all over the world. When you live in third world countries, and stay in remote villages for long periods of time, something you almost never see are fat people. You see big strong people, you see thin tough people, you see people whose weight is correct for there body structure. You see people who need to put on some weight, but you almost never see fat people. Something else you never see are fast food joints. People cook their food, and manage to get by on what they have. In many places in the third world, people only eat two times a day. They are probably a little bit hungry most of the time, but they aren't fat.

Americans as a group are fat, lazy, and blissfully ignorant. Health care providers are some of the worst. When was the last time you saw a nurse who wasn't over weight? Most doctors in the United States die before they reach sixty years old. Everyone knows they shouldn't eat so much, or eat junk food, yet they don't change their ways. Then when they get sick, they demand a pill that will make them feel better. Even when they are sick they don't change their eating habits, they just take a pill.

Those villagers also live very close to where their parents grew up and their grandparents and their grandparents grew up. That's good for one's genes. They also eat the same food their mother ate and her mother ate, that's also good for their genes. They spend a lot more time outside close to nature, good for their health. What that means is they don't experience the environmental stressors people in the West do.

It's not just what they eat.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Those villagers also live very close to where their parents grew up and their grandparents and their grandparents grew up. That's good for one's genes. They also eat the same food their mother ate and her mother ate, that's also good for their genes. They spend a lot more time outside close to nature, good for their health. What that means is they don't experience the environmental stressors people in the West do.

It's not just what they eat.
Poor eating habits cause a lot more over weight people than any amount of stressors. People in the so called West, are just better at blaming their problems on the wrong things. If your environmental is stressful, than change your environment. Inventing new excuses for why they can't loose weight, isn't going to help.

The expression, "Fat, dumb and happy" comes to mind.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor eating habits cause a lot more over weight people than any amount of stressors. People in the so called West, are just better at blaming their problems on the wrong things. If your environmental is stressful, than change your environment. Inventing new excuses for why they can't loose weight, isn't going to help.

The expression, "Fat, dumb and happy" comes to mind.
I'm referring to environmental stressors on one's genetic makeup.

·
Realist
2,889 Posts

Suppose there are 2 doctors, side by side. Same qualifications, equally rated. 1, Dr Joe, 2 Dr. Moe. guy goes see Dr Joe, and the Dr looks at him for about 5 seconds. Tells him "Lose 125 pounds, start eating food instead of garbage. Quit smoking, and do some exercise. That'll be $100."

Another guy goes to Dr Moe. He sits in a waiting room, as first one person and then another drop in for a few seconds, take his BP, maybe, ask a question. Finally, Dr Moe appears. Looks at the chart like it all means something, Nods his head here and there. Prescribes 10 different kind of pills, 4 tests for this and that. Tells the guy, Come back in a month, lets see if those pills are working, we'll do another round of tests. Patient goes to the testing facility across the road that DR Moe's brother owns. Comes back in a month, Then every 3 months the rest of his life.

Which one of those doctors are going to stay so busy they'll have to expand their waiting room and hire a couple more cute nurses? And which one will eventually go broke?

There's no money in trying to fix people. Lots of money in letting them stay broke and give them enough pills for their constipation because of horrendous eating habits, and the opiates Dr Moe prescribed for the lingering pain of whatever cause constipation, too. Tell them it's not their fault, they have a disorder. As long as they keep coming back...

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I'm referring to environmental stressors on one's genetic makeup.
It may contribute, but probably not enough to cancel out the positive effects of a healthy diet.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
This isn't diet, but similar. Why do African Americans have low vitamin d levels?
Because having more melanin reduces ones ability to synthesize vitamin d. What's your point? My point is still...diet and lifestyle change is the cure for being fat.

Reactions: exodus

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because having more melanin reduces ones ability to synthesize vitamin d. What's your point? My point is still...diet and lifestyle change is the cure for being fat.
My point is producing more melatonin is genetic. Because blacks lived in a geographic location with blistering sunlight, they developed genetic protection against it. Move them to a different location with less sunlight, and the positive becomes a negative.

The same happens with the foods one's ancestors ate and the soil and climate it was grown in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Losing weight and exercise are the best medicine. Good for everyone and everything. Not just to help with covid but to help with everyday living. Doctor's don't prescribe this. Everything i monetized.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Losing weight and exercise are the best medicine. Good for everyone and everything. Not just to help with covid but to help with everyday living. Doctor's don't prescribe this. Everything i monetized.
Everything you said is true, except that doctors do prescribe this. Patients just don't listen. Many people would rather take five pills a day than to just eat less and go for a walk.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything you said is true, except that doctors do prescribe this. Patients just don't listen. Many people would rather take five pills a day than to just eat less and go for a walk.
People listen, but diet and exercise fail many more times than it succeeds. If it was that simple, there wouldn't be a diet industry.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You might be right. It could be just mentioned during a vist but not driven home. I've accompanied some over weight people to the doctors not much was mentioned about weight or exercise even after the 4th and 5th vist?? It would alleviate many aches and pains. Make for a better life.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How does diet and exercise fail more often than it succeeds?
It doesn't. Ever. Is there anyone that really thinks if you ate exactly what you ate yesterday, but only half as much of it, you wouldn't lose weight?

People listen, but diet and exercise fail many more times than it succeeds. If it was that simple, there wouldn't be a diet industry.
There is a diet industry because people love to pay for something they think will give them results with no effort. As soon as one diet is a little uncomfortable, people buy the next one hoping it won't be.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How does diet and exercise fail more often than it succeeds?
Exercise for losing weight doesn't work because it is almost physically impossible to exercise enough to have major weight loss.

Diets typically don't work because of hormones.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts