Ober, lamancha, alpine....which one?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Nov 4, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting a fullsized goat. I'm leaning toward obers, lamanchas, or alpines.

My only reservation about alpines is that they are supposed to be bossy. What does that mean anyway? Are they mean to one another? How are they when it comes to being milked?

I was leaning heavily toward obers because of the milk taste and the fact that they are supposed to be quiet, intellegent, hardy. However, after looking at a lot of pics online, I started to get the impression that they don't have the best udders in the world. Seems like they tend to have poor foreudders....seems like they aren't well attached or something? Anyone know firsthand?

Then there is always lamanchas. I've had some experience with lamanchas. I like the long lactations, but one had recurrent ear infections. 2 of 3 that I had were really noisy....I mean seriously loud and obnoxious. Boy was she sweet though and really easy to milk. My husband doesn't really like them because of their lack of ears. I have to admit, I hate the gopher ears.

But really I'm more interested in which breed has the poorest udder. If I go with obers, am I going to have a hard time finding any with good udder? Also, which of the three has the worst temperament, and which is the loudest?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Alpines from what I have experianced can and will be very nasty amongst one and other but with people tend to be sweet and easy going. Sometimes a bit bullheaded though.

Obers are the sweetest gentlest breed but can be very flighty if not bottle raised. I think you can find some real nice uddered obers. Just have to look. As far as milking wise the ones I milked where fine but watch out for bulbus teats as I have noticed obers seem to be prone to that. Makes it hard to milk as their teats get HUGE..

LaManchas..now there I am baised...I breed em :nana: . But they are a all around nice breed. Steady as a rock and don't seem to freak like a ober normally would. Even alpines can be more scaredy cats. I just think that LaManchas have a stable personality, easy milkers, about the right size, and what not.

But if I was you I think you should try some Oberhaslis. I really do love the breed and if I ever choose could choose another dairy breed to do I would do them.

MotherClucker

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Oops...I didn't see the last 2 questions. Umm..temperment wise with people they all are fine. But like I said alpines by far have the most rotten bossy temperment with other goats. It is just plain annoying at times (I have a 50% and a 75% alpine and even they get annoying sometimes :nono: ..but on the whole they are not bad but then again the other part of them is Oberhasli).

Lets see....loudest..hmm...that really depends. Almost all my LaManchas are quiet but I have a few that are loud...but they are all related so that might have something to do with that. I would say Alpines, LaManchas, and Oberhaslis if you where grading from loudest to quietest. But then again some Obers can be just as loud as a Alpine (none on the whole are really that mouthy though.)

MotherClucker

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Oberhaslis, and I have some Nubians and I have one Lamacha.the Oberhaslis are quiet if you have neighbors,They are known for thier udders,But like said if you look you will find some with nice udders.Thats what Iam working on now.If you are not showing and milking for home use,You could be more leanette.I had a doe that milked 8lbs a day but her teets were bulbous and her udder hung low.Great milker and easy births was why I kept her so long.To inprove my herd I let her go this spring.Hard thing to do after 6 years and an old friend.But I have worked myself into some yearling beauties and I will be moving forward.

The nubians are Noisy,Loving and noisy ,and Great udders but noisy.Only because they know Moms comming to feed.I couldnt help my self they are cute and the Obers can get boring.(The babies are always the same color nothing different but personalities.)

The one Lamacha I have Looks like a Camel,Very long legged.Elf ears and that seems to help the ear thing. I have never had any problems with her elf ears.Sweet layed back and Loving Big puppy dog eyes.I have never been present when she gives birth shes one of those quiet ones thats sneeky.always had twins. nice udder not a show udder though.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am not that experienced yet, but so far my Alpines are the sweetest and least bossy of my goats. I have 2 purebred Alpines, 1 purebred Nubian, 2 purebred Nigerian Dwarfs, and 1 Alpine-Nigerian cross. The Nubian is the herd boss, but she does it in a very nice way! :) When we got the Nigerian doe, she is older and she was pushing around the Alpines---and the Nubian put her in her place. The Alpines were so "ungoaty" that when we first got the Nubian (they were all between 3 to 4 months old) and she went to butt heads with them in play, they practically tripped over each other trying to get away from her. The look on the Nubian's face was priceless. She was astounded, and she turned to look at me and it seemed like she was saying, "What's up with that?" Those Alpines were such sissies! They couldn't even jump on the rock! Now they romp and play and the three of them are the best of friends. The Nigerian still bosses the Alpines at the feed and hay, and they all get along, but she stays a little aloof from my three "stooges." Of course, when I let the teeny tiny Nigerian baby and Nigerian-Alpine cross baby out, the three "stooges" went right after them. So I let them out to play separately from the bigger ones.
    I love the Alpines the most! They are sooo cute. The Nubian is absolutely and elegantly beautiful, graceful, and intelligent. But the Alpines are the most affectionate and people oriented so far in my herd.

Blessings, Jillis

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

My nubians have the biggest mouths, but they are also laid back and gentle-and people loving-they give less milk than other breeds,but i love the richness of it-my saanens are also very sweet and very quiet-calm-i only had an ober,one time,in Germany-she was very sweet,very calm and actually adopted and raised an orphan lamb when her own kids were doa-they are not known for good udders only because they are not a prevelent breed in the states,and not as much has been done too try too improve them-as compared too other breeds that are much more popular. My dad has mostly alpines,and they are "snotty"-act like they are better than any of the other goats-but loving enough too people and give more milk than nubians-but then my saanens give more milk than the alpines-i have 3 alpines ,3 saanens, 2 nubians,1 togg/alpine-running with 21 boer/boer x-only 1 of my alpines act "bossy"-but she is still lower ranked than the boers-the boers are very quiet and laid back-in fact the only "mouthes" i have out there ARE the nubians-(and my bottle boer kids who think i have a bottle attached 24-7 like their mom does! ;) ) I was around lamaches,never owned one, but they were very quiet,sweet and had very nice udders!It all boils down too personel preference.

7. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade my Alpines for the world. The herd queen can be a bit bossy, but even she is the sweetest thing on the planet as far as I'm concerned. They're cold hardy and beautiful. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Ruth

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I vote for Lamanchas. :)

Ours are very quiet. They really only make noise when they're in heat. Otherwise, you hardly hear a peep out of them, unless we're really late for milking and feeding time. They're very sweet, wonderful temperment. Docile, easy to handle. We considered alpines, but didn't like their temperment as well. The obers generally give less milk and were harder to find around here, but I do like the looks of them.

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i love my nubians. their ears are like little flags when they come running. sometimes they are noisy but i like that. the milk is very creamy and sweat.
    my second breed would be oberhasli. i like their appearance. the milk are supposed very tasty too. don't know about their temperament though.
    i don't like the ears from the lamanchas but heard they are good milkers and have sweet personalities.
    than there are the saanen, toggenburgs and alpines. all nice breeds.
    i guess i love all goats but mostly nubians :)

10. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Isn't it great that there's a breed for every taste? :dance: I think the choice boils down to two things: what's available in your area (think bucks) and what do you like the look of?

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I love my nubians, they are the very best to me. and they aren't loud or bossy.

12. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Yep..you're going to get loads of opinions here, but you have to deal with what your area/purse can handle. Not much good getting youself all set for one specific breed only to find you will have trouble finding them or a buck if you don't plan on keeping one. We never thought we'd have LaMancha's..they were far down on teh list but after exp with them I'm quite fond of these girls..we have 2 alpine x's as well..this springs doelings and they seem nice too. We just milk for milk..we make cheese too so we're not in it for the show aspect. Look around and see what you can find...get some up close and personal time with the goats then you decide.

13. AmazingAlpines

AmazingAlpines Member

You should probably first find out if all three breeds are availible in your area. I raise Alpines and Lamanchas and find that they are very different. My Alpines tend to be are very sweet and affectionate, while the Lamanchas have stronger personalities (good and bad). However both breeds are wonderful. Overall I find that behavior has more to do with the animal than the breed.

You can also find good and bad udders in any breed. Just shop around before you buy anything and make sure there is at least one good buck nearby of that breed.
    Tori