Oaks from acorns?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by 2horses, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I have a beautiful red oak in my front yard, and it has tons of acorns on it. I'd like to try and grow some of these acorns out to new trees, but am unsure how to best handle them Anyone know? I have some that I've picked up off the ground, and some are still on the tree. The ones that have fallen have lost their caps as well, within a day or two of me picking them up. Right now they are all just hiding from the squirrels in my garage. What should I do with them?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Pam :cool: < --------- needs more trees!

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Put them in a plastic baggie with some slightly moist planter mix. Put them in the refrigerator until Spring or until you see them start to sprout, checking them every once in a while to see that they are still moist. Plant the sprouted seeds in pots until Fall and then plant them where you want them permanently to grow.

3. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

Bury some in your garden, in pots, if you like, and leave them there until spring and then transplant. I get oak volunteers every spring, mostly in places that I don't want them. Namely, the garden. The squirrels are probably burying them there!

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

many of the acorns that are on the ground will have grubs & bugs inside of them. Don't leave them inside too long. Get them planted now and don't be disappointed when only a few sprout. Ever notice that squirrels plant tons of them?