Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I'm sure glad to read this because I was told they were fine but then I read in Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats that they can be toxic (105). Freaked me out :eek: but they have plenty of other grasses and brush to gobble on so they're not hanging out at the oaks all day long.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
This is great news, the tree is so beautiful. I also read that they might be toxic. The pasture has lots of other vegetation to eat. All the trees in the pasture will be wrapped in wire so they can not damage the trees. THANK YOU...Joan :haha:

·
Registered
222 Posts
A friend has a huge Bur Oak in their yard which produces these huge acorns, and the goats LOVE them.. I have to crack 'em open before I go in the pen or else I'm mobbed.. and on occasion, I'll toss a cracked one in there and watch 'em try to get the meat out.. they're getting quite good at it..

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all sorts of oak, maple, and fir saplings that pop up in the garden and flower beds. I just pull them out and toss the whole things into my goats and sheep. Their happy, I'm happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts