oak grain filler

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tat, Dec 5, 2004.

1. tat

tat Active Member

Hello,

I am working on a project made of oak, today I just realized I am going to need to fill the grain before I finish it. I wanted to use wax or oil on top of stain, if there is grain filler will I have to use poly on it? I am very new to finishing wood and would appreciate all suggestions.

Tommy

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Ok i must also be to new to this.Because you lost me on the grain filler part. :D Wax, Let me guess cutting board maybe?
    Could you power sand down to close the grain enough?
    I often have problems with sanding oak then trying the stain a dark color as sanding tends to close up the grain.(or maybe thats a lack of knowledge?) :haha:

I use plain sanding sealer for hand rails.Porter Paints Lacquer or Farrel Calhouns Val Spar Varnish on high end,high traffic jobs, or out side stuff like oak doors.But I'm often just looking for a shine/gloss.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

What's the project? and what type of finish do you want to use on it?

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Several coats of Tung oil will accomplish everything you want. Will fill the pores, is suitable for table ware (safe to eat from) if that is where you want to use it, will not watermark, is a natural product and looks good over stain and is nearly fool proof