O.P. Corn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tom S, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Tom S

Tom S Member

Has anyone had any experience with open pollinated corn for silage or grain?
    I farm in Central MN and the only corn I raise is for silage, always hybrids. Have been researching this the last couple of months and most of what I read is positive about OT corn because of stalk height and higher nutritional value.Plus the added plus of being able to save your own seed.Hope it works because that's the only crop left that we buy seed for.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not grown it, I don't do silage, but I've heard about the same you have.

Do you have a source for it, Albert Lea Seed House offers OP corn I believe if you ever get to the south east, they have a web site but their paper catalog is much better, should be coming out real soon in fact. I always make the trip her in March & get my fun crops - plowdown clovers, alfalfa, turnips, and the like.

--->Paul

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We raised an acre of Reid's Yellow Dent corn a few years ago, just kind of to see if we could. It did really well.
    I sold about 500 ears at the farmers' market, froze some, & we pulled the rest after it dried & fed the horses on it that winter. I also cut stalks & sold them for Halloween & Thanksgiving decorations.
    We made a little profit on it & it worked out really well, except for the fire ants that we had to fight when we were pulling it.

4. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

I'm just a home gardener. When I switched from hybrids to heirloom variety op corn I was inundated with those corn silk worms. I geuss the hybrids have a resistance that the heirloom didn't. But I was goin for the whole heirloom organic thing and didn't apply anything to kill 'em. I imagine there is some pesticide that real farmers use for those friggin worms.
    Better than ninety percent of last years corn was infested with them. The chickens considered the worms a bonus to be found in the corn, I didn't.

5. Tom S

Tom S Member

I'm ordering a bushel of 90 day yellow Krugs today to plant an experiment plot away from all other types of corn.Getting it from,

Borries Open Pollinated Seed
    16293 E 1400th Ave
    Teutopolis, IL 62467

They have four varieties,

110 day Henry Moore (yellow)
    90 day Krugs (yellow)
    110 day Reids (yellow)
    120 day Boone Co (white)

Cost is 32 dollars a bushel. In their info they recommend that any to be saved for seed be at least 40 rows away from any other type of corn. The 90 day is supposed to get 12 foot tall on a normal year with the later day types getting even taller, which is a silage makers goal. And supposed to have more leaves than a shorter hybrid. Should be interesting.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Another place to look:
    www.rhshumway.com
    They have a bunch of OP field corn- prices are pretty steep $81-$57/50lbs depending on variety and amount but that seems to include most of the shippping charge.
    One of the varieties they have is Goliath Silo which is supposed to go up to 50/tons/acre of silage. Might not ripen for seed here though.

Another place that might be closer than Albert Lea-
    www.buckwheatgrowers.com
    They have organic and non-GMO crop seed and feed. Don't know what they have for corn this year.
    Give me a couple of years and I should have some dandy field corn seed to sell. I have 2 oz. of Early Murdock from USDA Seed Bank. It was one of the most popular varieties for MN/ND/WI/UPMI before WW2 and is now down to a 2 gallon jar in Ames.

Hey LiberalCountryBoy- if you get those worms again, whack 'em with pyrethium. Widely available, the active ingredient in some "big farmer" insecticides, organic approved, and so darn natural that it's actually made of a kind of daisy. Non toxic to anything with a spine.

7. Tom S

Tom S Member

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi, I know this is an old thread but thought I would share. I live in SD and grew Wisconsin Silver OP corn I got from RHShumway. Here is a picture of it with my seven and three-year-old children standing beside it, if you can see them. It would be great for silage!

[​IMG]