NZs

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kell, Dec 21, 2004.

1. kell

kell Well-Known Member

What would the babies of a red NZ and a white NZ look like? Just wondering because I thought either half would be red and half white or all would be diluted red.
    KEL

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

This depends on the genetics. It's not quite as simple as "getting half-and-half". Whites, aka albinos, have the genetic markers "cc". Solid rabbits, such as your red, are, most basically, "CC". The only way you will get whites out of the litter is if your reds are "carriers" of the "c" gene, which would give them the genetic markers "Cc".

Also, I am not sure what other colors NZ's come in, but you wouldn't necessarily end up with a red. The "cc" gene masks all other color in the rabbit - a white rabbit is practically a wild card, unless you know what colors are behind it. It could carry red, but perhaps not. If it doesn't carry red, chances are that you won't get any reds, either!

:eek:

3. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Everyone I know that has ever tried it has gotten agoutis the first generation. Reds are agouti patterned with the non-extention factor, if I understand correctly. Whites could be masking anything, but it's likely it's agouti as well. Even without know what color the whites carry, more than likely, the first generation would come out wild agouti color, as the red would contribute the "A" gene that is dominant. So to sum up my roundabout logic- the first generation would almost assuredly be the "wild" agouti color.

Tim

4. kell

kell Well-Known Member

So...agouti is red? Will they be showable or do you have to have pure reds and pure whites in their bloodlines?
    KEL

5. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Reds are agouti with the non-extention factor. That's the same factor that makes blacks into torts. But otherwise, yes- they are agoutis. I don't think there's any way to show them, as they aren't any of the three recognized colors. If it helps, in mini lops and other breeds, regular agoutis are called chestnuts.
    By the way- if I'm wrong, anyone on the list is welcome to correct me. I have never raised New Zealands, so I don't know that for 100% fact. Thanks!!!

Tim

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

crosses i had with a meat quality albino NZ were black, no exceptions out of a couple litters.