NZ or Cal. Buck Wanted

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Haggis, May 19, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have a 16 doe habit in Northern Minnesota. I started with some small and oddball mixed breeds and over time have got them up to an average litter of 8 kits and keep all my rabbits in clean wire cages and burn the cages clean between litters, but my kits take 10 weeks or sometimes more to reach 4 to 4 1/2 pounds.

What I need, IMHO is some new blood from a NZ or Cali Buck to improve my bloodlines. The problem is that I haven't been able to find anyone in my part of the country who has these breeds! I've seen business cards at fairs (after making special trips for the purpose of finding breeders) and made phone calls to answering machines and disconnected numbers; so far I'm still breeding my barnyard mongrels.

If anyone knows of a breeder within 100 miles of Virginia, Minnesota who raises New Zealands Whites or California's please let me know. I love my meat rabbits and raise a lot of them for my five kids, their families, and 10 Grandkids, but I can see that a 5 pound fryer at 8 weeks is way better deal than a 4 to 4 1/2 pound fryer at 10 weeks.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

2. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Too bad you are so far away!
    I have 5 good sized bucks awaiting the chopping block right now. All are Californians, but have New Zealands coming up soon.
    If you ever get to Northeast Texas, let me know!

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

It seems that I have always been six inches too short of rope, but isn't that the way of things? Here I am desperate and willing to pay several times the value of a good breeding buck or two, and there you are putting them in the freezer for want of a buyer. We eat a lot of rabbits around my homestead. With all of my kids, their kids, and main squeezes, 250 a year is a low number of fryers.

Think of me up here in Northern Minnesota when you're volunteering those bucks for your winter provender.

Haggis @ Wolf Cairn Moor

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy...try calling yer local pet shop...they often breed there own stock and will get what ya want...if they dont have it they might know of someone who does.....I also have cali.....but am in arkansas lol....can also get put on the list at yer local animal shelter...just dont tell them ya want them fer meat lol...good luck and happy hunting...dale anne

5. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

When I Was Looking For Flemish Giant Breeders In Minnesota, I Had A Hard Time Too. I Ended Up Going To A Exotic Animal Auction In Pierz. There Is No Papers On Them, But We Just Want To Raise Them For Meat. The Only Problem Is Is That I'm Having A Hard Time Breeding Two Of The Does. This Is All New To Me. One Doe Had 7 Kits, So Were Getting Somewere. Just Need To Figure Out What Im Doing Wrong. Check Out The Auction House Around You And See If They Have Anything, Otherwise, When I Get Going On The Giants And You Want A Male, You Can Come And Get One. I'm About A 1 1/4 North Of Minneapolis.

6. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Try local and state fairs. You will see rabbits and breeders at the same time.
    Blessings, Jim

7. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I promise to think of you with every bite of that wonderful rabbit meat....
    Now, think of me as we swelter away down here.... the a/c bit the dust and it is 90+ in the shade with 100% humidity! Maybe I should join the bunnies underground........