Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3/4 inch nylon rope for swing rope for the kids. My question is will the rope stretch from swinging on it over time or will it shrink from the cold, rain, sun, etc...?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm sure ropes have improved since we had a rope to swing on 25 years ago, but I remember the nylon rope getting very rough and almost splintery after just a little bit of time out in the sun and elements. It was perfectly safe (didn't seem to lose strength or stretch), but it was so unpleasant to hold onto that we didn't use it much.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GoldenMom I believe this a very good quality nylon rope. Anyway I answered my own question earlier this mourning:happy:
I will set the swing seat as low and safely as possible and if it stretches then simply raise the seat. If the the rope shrinks and I dont think it will much, then we will just deal with it because I will be setting it as low as possible to start with anyway.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Nylon rope gets hard on the hands.I put one up last spring for our Pastor's grandkids and I used chain.It worked out fine.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
A true nylon Solid Braid rope should work fine and not stretch with the minimal load. There are lots of ropes put there that are not solid braided and are not nylon.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If it is getting scratchy it is not nylon, it is probably polypropylene which will break down in the sun. A double braid nylon rope will stretch less than a three strand twisted nylon rope. We used to use the twisted nylon as anchor ropes since they gave a bit which made the boat ride easy at anchor. There are some double braid ropes which have almost zero stretch, we used those for flying a spinnaker but they were not cheap ropes.

If the rope is hard on the hands, let them chop wood for awhile to get some callus to toughen up their hands? Oh, well, otherwise, you could pad the rope by lashing on some old towels or look up "baggywinkle" and you could do that to give them a soft spot to hang onto. We used to leather wrap the rope in areas to prevent chafe from the gunnels of the boat, but leather gets stiff after awhile.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. We got the seat on the rope this evening and tried it out and all is working fine. The boys simply love it and cant wait until this summer so they can let go and splash in the water :dance:

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Parks in all the big cities use chain on the swings. All rope breaks down in the elements. If the rope fails while swinging, someone could be injured. Kids home swingsets use chain also.

RF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts