Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shepherd
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Awhile back some New Yorkers mentioned they knew of this program ( STAR) to help
alleviate some of the high property tax burden.
I've been searching on the internet but all I get is info on NYC.
Does anyone have first hand experience or a good link?
I'm looking at a farm there, but I want to figure out if this program will take the sting out of that annual tax amount! Yikes!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I don't know about the program you refer to, but you will probably have to check by county to find tax info. When I lived in NY there was a senior citizen discount especially on school tax.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We live in NY and I called our local congressman for details. He or she will either send you info or at least tell you who to call. The good thing is now you only have to register once and that's it. Before, every year you had to reapply. As far as how much, it's hard to say. I think we get refunded about $450 a year.

I just did a little search and came up with this...
NYS star application
what you want to fill out is the top one RP-425. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We wanted to know about the taxes on the land we bought. we called the town tax assesor and she asked how much everything would be worth (an estimate) and she gave us an estimate on the yearly taxes, than she told us how much we would save with the STAR program, somewhere around $700 a year.

~Marisa

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just checked my school tax bill from last fall. In my county, we are assessed at "full market value". Under the STAR program, a certain amount is exempted from full market value, so you are taxed on a lesser amount. The rate per thousand stays the same.

In my case, $28,500 was exempted. At the bottom of my school tax bill it states my savings resulting from the STAR program was $518.67. I paid $1,649.69.

STAR is only for school taxes. I also paid county property taxes of $562.10, so my total 2003 property taxes were $2,211.79 ($1,649.69 + $562.10).

There is no refund involved. You pay a lesser amount with STAR.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

·
Hired Hand
1,671 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the info...I didn't think I qualified for STAR but everyone qualifies according to the information at the websites given! Wouldn't have a chance to work on this today but I'll be on it bright and early Monday morning.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
There is also a STAR Enhanced program for seniors (I think it's
only for them, but am not sure) which taxes you based on income.
I knew one old woman whose school taxes were reduced from
around $3000 to less than $100.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just an observation about the STAR program. At least in our area, State Aid to school has been reduced/or stayed flat so that the local districts have had to increase their tax levy more and more each year. Even though you seem to be saving with STAR, the local increase (due to lower state aid) makes up for it. IMHO, STAR just makes the state look good and makes local government look like the bad guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts