NY Star (tax relief) Program

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Mar 25, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Hi folks.
    Awhile back some New Yorkers mentioned they knew of this program ( STAR) to help
    alleviate some of the high property tax burden.
    I've been searching on the internet but all I get is info on NYC.
    Does anyone have first hand experience or a good link?
    I'm looking at a farm there, but I want to figure out if this program will take the sting out of that annual tax amount! Yikes!

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I don't know about the program you refer to, but you will probably have to check by county to find tax info. When I lived in NY there was a senior citizen discount especially on school tax.

3. MartyPalange

MartyPalange Member

4. Claudia in NY

Claudia in NY Well-Known Member

We live in NY and I called our local congressman for details. He or she will either send you info or at least tell you who to call. The good thing is now you only have to register once and that's it. Before, every year you had to reapply. As far as how much, it's hard to say. I think we get refunded about $450 a year.

I just did a little search and came up with this...
    NYS star application
    what you want to fill out is the top one RP-425. Good luck.

5. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

We wanted to know about the taxes on the land we bought. we called the town tax assesor and she asked how much everything would be worth (an estimate) and she gave us an estimate on the yearly taxes, than she told us how much we would save with the STAR program, somewhere around $700 a year.

~Marisa

6. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Just checked my school tax bill from last fall. In my county, we are assessed at "full market value". Under the STAR program, a certain amount is exempted from full market value, so you are taxed on a lesser amount. The rate per thousand stays the same.

In my case, $28,500 was exempted. At the bottom of my school tax bill it states my savings resulting from the STAR program was $518.67. I paid $1,649.69.

STAR is only for school taxes. I also paid county property taxes of $562.10, so my total 2003 property taxes were $2,211.79 ($1,649.69 + $562.10).

There is no refund involved. You pay a lesser amount with STAR.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thanks to everyone for the info...I didn't think I qualified for STAR but everyone qualifies according to the information at the websites given! Wouldn't have a chance to work on this today but I'll be on it bright and early Monday morning.

8. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

There is also a STAR Enhanced program for seniors (I think it's
    only for them, but am not sure) which taxes you based on income.
    I knew one old woman whose school taxes were reduced from
    around $3000 to less than $100.

9. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

Just an observation about the STAR program. At least in our area, State Aid to school has been reduced/or stayed flat so that the local districts have had to increase their tax levy more and more each year. Even though you seem to be saving with STAR, the local increase (due to lower state aid) makes up for it. IMHO, STAR just makes the state look good and makes local government look like the bad guy.