Ny homestead search

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Four Angels Dad, May 8, 2005.

1. Four Angels Dad

Four Angels Dad Member

I have posted elsewhere on this board asking for information on homesteads in the upstate NY area. We are looking at south western or mid western NY for a home with four bedrooms and at least 10 acres. If anyone has any information about the areas that too would be greatly appreciated. Our search has gone on for almost two years and at times it has become disheartening when we think we found something and it does not turn out to be what we were told.
    Anyone out there with any knowledge of a home for sale that meets the above criteria please contact me.

Thanks for all of your help

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I used to use unitedcountry.com as a locating device. If I could afford their advertized land, then I could afford the entire area because they ask the going price.

One thing is, if a place is cheaper than the going price, then there is a reason. That reason might not matter a hill of beans to you, but there will be a reason.

I was lucky enough to find land I could afford because there would not be city water available for 3 years. No problem, we were not ready to build. Also, there was this pesky creek that would need a bridge across it to use the rear of the property. The realtor was QUITE apologetic about that creek, said it wasn't TOO big but that she WAS afraid there was a creek.

Fine. I put bee hives on it, and I am planting asparagus and berries now, and there is the "pesky" creek for water. By the time we are ready to move, the land should be providing something of an income and the water will be by then available.

All this, and the land was priced at $20,000 below the going rate for the inconvenience of not moving in immediately, when we couldn't afford to build right now anyways!

I am a little pleased at finding land that suits us so well... :dance:

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Have you seen this one?

http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconline/uconline/SearchNS/Search_View_Selected_Property.asp?SID=12406230&Lcnt=&Action=Edit&Item=541873&Page=1&Office='31158'

4. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

ok you're doing the search I'm doing with the exception of house size. A couple questions for you.

Are you going to need work or are you self supporting?

Do you need alot of civilization?

If the answer to the second question is yes, then I recomend the area around Ithaca and Cayuga lake. But expect that area to be very expensive for anything decent. Also the area is building up fast. I personally don't care to be around any of the fingerlakes. The area is pretty much overpriced. And regulations are getting outrageous as the area explodes population wise.

The area around Allegany and Cattaraugus counties are the area I like. Places are cheap, but, there is little work in the area. There are blue collar job, but more people than jobs so wages are low. I really like the area around Cuba, NY and Olean, NY. They are nice clean medium sized towns, and the surrounding countryside is very reasonable. Wellsville is a strange town and kind of depressed. Depressed enough that they are throwing development around without thought, just to have it. Twenty years ago I loved Wellsville, now I steer as far around it as possible.

If you don't mind being within an hours drive of a big city, Niagara county is an area that is still very rural. Same with the western half of Orleans county. If you look in that direction watch for bad drainage north of route 104. The area is really flat and there is usually a hardpan not far down. I'm north of 104 in Monroe county and my garden can't be tilled until memorial day due to the bad drainage. It's something important to consider. If it were me and I wanted to stay near the big lakes, it would be the area around Newfane/Olcott/Wilson/Appleton. Nice little towns, no jobs though. A determined commuter could do the Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Rochester commute though. And those cities have decent jobs.

There was an interesting place in Dansville about 45 minutes south of Rochester on realtor.com, I'll see if I can find it for you. If it's still listed, I'll post the link.

My search as of this weekend is a 25 mile radius around Bradford PA. I fear saying this here. I don't want everyone heading there driving up prices. :no: If you'll consider PA, look at McKean county. Land there is 1/2 the cost of NY and 1/4 the taxes. I've fallen in love with the area. My 25 mile radius lets me include Cuba and Olean in my search.

Now, my experience with United country and Realtor.com is that a piece of property listed with them will be 10-25% more expensive than places not listed online with big websites. The best way to search what you want is to go drive around and pick an area you like. Then stop at a little grocery store and get yourself the local pennysaver or county advertiser. If you find a area you really like, stop and make some friends and ask around. For example, I was down in PA saturday visiting friends I made online. The husband took me for a ride out in the hills. How does a 2 bedroom ranch house 20 years old on 44 acres for the price of $53k sound. Nope don't look for it, it's not listed with a realtor, and it won't be. And from my past year looking. I could put you in a decent old farm house on a few acres for under $30k easy in McKean county. Oh and the property taxes down there will run $400-600 a year. Unlike NY where taxes seem to start at $1,000 and go up quick.

lol, I'll get down now :soap: and go find you the link for the place in Dansville.

5. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

The place in Dansville seems to be no longer listed.

Here's a place in Allegany county that meets your criterion. Needs work, but, that's what homesteading is all about.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Hom...4AD05D3396EC&snumxlid=1045629613&lnksrc=00002

This is what I'm looking for. 25 miles south in PA the asking price would be at least $10k less. But, I don't need the bedrooms you need, I need a ranch because of a disability.

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Hom...4AD07C8ACDFC&snumxlid=1045782419&lnksrc=00002

6. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I am amazed people are looking in my neck of the woods! My husband just went to a tax auction on reality Saturday. He went with his brother who goes to these auctions all the time. It was amazing how much the land went for...much much higher than expected. Our taxes just went up and to top it off the assesments were raised too. We have a house in Bolivar on less than an acre of land. Our property taxes at the beginning of the year are around $800 and the taxes in the fall(school) are around $600. I would suggest looking more in the PA area. We would move ourselves but, it's hard to think of another mortgage when you are less than $9000 left on your old one. And with 6 kids, 5 of which are in school, pulling them out of another school is out of the question. Good luck on your search!

7. heather

heather Well-Known Member

there are a lot of properties for sale in Delaware Co., but maybe that's too far east for you (beware - "city people" buy there, so you might end up with them as neighbors)

8. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Have you looked into the norther part of PA ?? Tioga or Bradford or Potter county ?? Prices are beginning to climb but you still can find really reasonable places. A house with some work and acreage would probably be less than say..$60,000. Sounds like a lot to me..but in today's prices I suppose it isn't bad. This area is still pretty rural but we are getting more modern to my dismay. People are for the most part friendly. Jobs are scarce and not very well paying. Hospitals and prisons are the top employer. Wellsboro, PA is a pleasant town and it's fame is the ...Grand Canyon of PA !! I would go for a ride in this area and hit the local real estates or call and get the local Pennysaver or the Wellsboro Gazette paper to get any names and to see the local news of the area would be helpful too. this area is about an hour or so from the NY finger lake region. Nice area..you will be pleased.