NW Missouri - water question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WildernesFamily, Jun 11, 2006.

1. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

We're considering a property in NW Missouri. The agent told us there is a well on the property which hasn't been tested, but the previous owners bought water and had it trucked in (they have a cistern.) The agent says many people in the area buy their water in... why would they do that instead of using their well water? I'm guessing it's potable water that they're buying in.. could something be wrong with the well water so they won't drink it?

~ Jane

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Tell the seller you want the water tested Before you offer on the property.. That way you know if theres A probelm .

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

sure, lots of places have bad water.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

There could be repairs needed to the well or pump that the previous owners could not afford. Or the water could be bad. It could have high E Coli count or other coliforms from water run off or contamination. If you write a contract just make sure that it covers both possibilities.

donsgal

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

You might have the well tested(before buying of course), but don't assume its going to be bad based on other people buying their water in. Around here(Southern Missouri), all the natives drink the well water, and most of the down to earth newcomers(like us) do as well. And its the best water I have ever had! But, I know of many folks coming from out of state who won't drink the water, won't even consider it, tested or not. They are the folks who come from areas where you always bought water in or that you automatically had city water piped into the house. I think its mostly habit. When I visit them, I drink the well water from their taps and they drink the expensive water from the plastic jugs......<grin> Ask some of the natives in the area and have it tested if your serious about buying. I would definiately ask some of the older farmers in the area first.

6. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Have it tested or have them decrease the price the equivalent of having a well drilled and pump installed.

If it isnt a good well, then the price ought to reflect it...

7. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

lots a places in northern mo. have a high concentration of sulphur in some of the wells,taste is HORRIBLe and the smell just about as bad. I knew one farm north of Marshall mo where they drilled the well over 600ft to get water without the sulphur in it. Another farm just a few miles over hauled their water and dumped it in a cistern to avoid the cost of drilling a well that deep. Water is available much closer to the surface, but not sweet drinking water...:-}

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Definitely make it part of the agreement that the water must be tested. There may be nothing wrong with it, but it's best to know.

Drilling a new well won't make the water any better necessarily (unless someone's thrown something down the old well). Most often it just needs treated with bleach. And some people (particularly yuppie types) just can't imagine drinking water from a well for some reason. If the water has high iron content in it (as ours does) sometimes people would prefer bottled water for drinking, but will use the well water for everything else.

9. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Great advice, thanks! :goodjob:

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of folks here in MO don't have wells 'cause they cost alot! This old farm house had a cistern and we put in a deep well--'bout 6 grand. Many neighbors haul water. We had a rental with a cistern and had water hauled to it monthly. We are lucky to have excellent tasting water but if I were up in the north part of MO I'd definitely get a well test as there is alot more farming and chemical runoff. DEE

11. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

I live in NW missouri, most areas have gone to rual water but not all. Where is the property located. We don't have sulphar problems up here, but we do have high calcium and iron problems. Alot of wells are high in nitrates because alot a wells where in former barn lots, pastures, ect.. There is alot of farming around here so the well would need to be tested not only for nitrates but also for pestisides/herbisides espically atrazine (might of misspelled it). I would definetly make well testing part of the deal, also there are getting to be alot of dry wells around, so I would have the well tested for recovery rate.
    If the well test high in nitrates but has a good recovery I would just buy my drinking water, and use the well for everything else. It won't hurt livestock, garden, clothes washing, or bathing.

PM if you have anymore questions about NW Missouri. I love it here, its beutiful rolling hill country.

Chris

12. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like to me that the well is not a very good one. Insist on the well being tested and have the well pumped out and check to see how fast the water returns. If the well hasn't been used for years it probably needs to be cleaned out. There is nothing worse than not having enough water. It is not always easy to find someone to haul water in the area where I live and if you do it can get to be expensive. I also live in NW, MO. We are on rural water for the house because our wells, (we have two), do not furnish enough. Find out if rural water is close to the property so you can hook up. If not, it costs a tremendous amount to get it piped to your property line. You might want to look around for something that has access to rural water. After all of that, we would welcome you to our part of the country. PM me with your location and if you are close to us maybe I can give you more info on the country around.