nutritional value of wild rabbit ?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by revontulet, Mar 17, 2004.

1. revontulet

revontulet Well-Known Member

I was told wild rabbit was much less nurtitional then domestic and unless your starving or love the taste, it's useless to eat one.
    This bummed me out since I have so meny wild rabbit around here.
    Is this a myth or true.
    Also is there a differance in nutrition amoung the domestics?

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

3. revontulet

revontulet Well-Known Member

Thank you dlwelch.
    I was thinking of catching some wild rabbits to breed, keeping the babies and butchering the parents. The babies would be kept as pets and meat supply. Would the babies still act wild and be unhappy and hard to raise? I can't find anything online that talks about doing this. Just that it's cruel.

4. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

revontulet,

I've tried to raise wild cotton tails that have been found in the yard after their mother was killed or after the nest was run over with the lawn mower. In every case they either died, injured themselves (sometimes fatally) or killed their siblings. They never became "tame". We always ended up releasing the live ones back into their natural environment. Most of the time they do fine once they are released. I've watched several grow up on the property.

FYI, it's not legal to capture and raise wild animals with out a permit in Louisiana, and I think it is so in most if not all states.

It makes better sense to simply raise domestic rabbits. It's legal, they grow faster and they are or can be tamed. True there is a difference in flavor, but there is always hunting season.

Good luck,

Mike