Nutrition for new dog mom

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shelbynteg, Oct 9, 2004.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

My Great Pyr had a beautiful litter of ten, count 'em, ten puppies last Friday. The pups are doing great, even the runt. But I ran my hand over Frosty's hip this morning, and she is really bony.

Suggestions on supporting her better during lactation? We free feed a 20% highly digestible kibble (Diamond brand) for all our 6 dogs. Thanks.

BTW, pups will be available in five weeks, only $150 each :D Five girls and 3 boys are still available, they are anatolian pyr crosses.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Congratulations! Ten puppies, wow. Poor mama, lol.

Personally I would feed my dog Flint River Ranch, but I sell it too. :D Of course I sell it because I think it is great.

Anyway, you might try giving her a little raw high fat hamburger meat. Might also try giving her some goat milk, or some raw cream if you can find any would be good.

The following are supposed to help the lactating female produce more milk, which she will need to make alot! Honey, raw eggs, oatmeal (just soak in water for a while) raw grated or cooked carrot, seaweed and mollasses among other things. I would try giving her some oatmeal with a little seaweed powder (like a 1/2 to a teaspoon), raw honey and raw egg.

Hope this is helpful!

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

congratulations on your litter. Have you any pictures of your anatolian/pyr cross. Sound like an excellent livestock guardian breed.

I've never bred the large breeds, but have had a couple terrier litters. The mama usually does fine with the 18% protein kibbles supplemented with ground or chopped bit of lver mixed in. It's not a bad idea to mix in some cooked egg. I never supplemented with dairy product. I would think she have an increased appetite as the pups lactate and grow. Keep that in mind to provide enough nourishment in terms of quantity.

I had a Kuvasz from a pup that came from a litter of 16. They all survived and were healthy because of the exceptional care and attention the breeder had. They fed the mother an 18% diet kibble which they supplemented with some eggs. Those large breeds seem to throw big litters, so 10 is probably not too unusual. What color are they? temperment?

Rich

4. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Right now they are still worms, expect their eyes to open in a few days (I think its at about 10 days?), then we'll get an idea of their varying personalities. Daddy is the biggest anatolian I've ever seen, definitely a guardian, yet always been wonderful with people. He keeps all the other dogs in line. Frosty just joined us this summer, she loves people attention, lets everyone troop in and out to check out the babies, never upset with us. She is making sure, however, that none of the other dogs, pet goats nor chickens approach her babies :)

5. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Hey Shelby....

Is Paulie the daddy??

we were just talking about him the other day...
    If we get back on our feet, how we would want someone just like paulie for the pasture duty...

Congrats on the puppies...

you always have your hands full.. how is your milk barn going?

Hugs
    Lynn in Texas

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A word of caution...If she's accustomed to a diet of kibble, add other things slowly. Diarrhea would only compound the problem. I'm sure you already knew that, but what the heck...sometimes being concerned about one thing makes us overlook another thing we normally wouldn't. hmmm...I'm not sure I wrote that where it makes sense, but it's the best I can do!

Congratulations!

Meg :)

7. timberweed

timberweed Active Member

Congrats!

I used to raise Chesapeake Bay Retrievers - big but not as big as yours. Any way, I used to supplement the adult high protien food with some puppy food of the same brand, at the recommendation of my vet. I also used a vitamin supplement during the end of pregnancy and lactation. Good luck with the babies!

Cyndy

8. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I have Shelties and one is pregnant. We feed them Iams, the vet said to switch the pregnant one to Iams puppy food and it would have all the extra nutriants she'd need.

9. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

HI Congradulations.... You need to switch your dog to a high protient high fat dog food while she is nursing puppies if you are feeding diamond they make a very good premiun original itis 26% proitien and 18 % fat I think itis in a green bag and give her free choice cooked eggs are wonderful for a dog and they hardely ever give stomach problems expect you dog to get thin she is nursing a big litter and I am guess they will be large puppies have fun!!!!!

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Just wanted to say, you might want to look up animal abuse and iams. :(

It also has byproducts and corn in it.

11. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I have Anatolians and feed the Mothers a good quality puppy food starting a month before they are bred, all through their prrgnancy and until the pups are weaned. I also fed vitimins, eggs, and since my goats were dried up for kidding I added goat milk replacer. Mixed all together into a mush so she could quickly gomp it down and back to her pups. In between I would give her raw chicken quarters which later she threw back up for her pups (so much for trying to get the weight on!). I did anything to get her to eat and the weight on her. I know how 8 puppies can quickly bring a mother down.

Congratulations on your pups and can't wait to see pictures.