Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been out to see if there are any Hickery nuts, walnuts, or acorns this year in Southern Missouri? I know we had a late frost but I am hoping that there are some. It's about time to start looking for squirrels.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I haven't seen any Acorns.Lot of Walnuts.Don't know on Hickories.

big rockpile

R

·
0 Posts
We got hit real hard with that late freeze here in Oklahoma. All the tree's were in full bloom when that hit. No acorns, walnuts, nor hickory nuts. No fruit on the fruit trees, even the wild ones such as mulberry trees and any vining berries such as blackberries, etc. In fact just across the state line in Arkansas they have been having trouble with black bears coming into town looking for something to eat since there isn't much food out in the wild woods.

If you do feeders, they should really draw in the wildlife this fall. It might be the only source for them this year. In fact I have squirrels like you wouldn't believe in my yard every morning. I had two gunny sacks full of walnuts that I had harvested last fall and I put them out under the shade tree. Since I'm not eating them I thought I would just let the squirrels have them. They found them and now every morning when I look outside I'll see at least a half a dozen scampering around. Wife and kids wont let me shoot'em.

I need to dig my corn feeders out and set them out. Come Oct. 1st I should have lots of wildlife visiting them.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Bumper crop of hickory nuts and acorns in my area. BUT... I've never had shag bark hickory trees and am unfamilar with hickory nuts. I know shag bark nuts are edible, they are not of the "pig" variety. They are falling like no tomorrow, I've been picking up a kitty litter bucket full every night just from the back yard (which isn't that big). Do you need to roast/toast them or are they good right out of the shell? It can get downright dangerous underneath one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts