nursing doe problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sunshine estate, Apr 25, 2006.

1. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I have a dwarf mix that has four day old kits...she won't nurse them unless I hold her in the nest box (I'm not a novice at this...I checked the kits after over 30 hours and their stomachs were flat...) I'm glad that she will have a "let down" and nurse them after I make her hold still, the other does I've have wouldn't have let me do this...

But my question is: she acts like it hurts her for the kits to latch onto her nipples...she jumps almost like she's had a tiny electric shock every time one latches on, and she sometimes stomps her foot too...she doesn't appear to have mastititus...Has anyone else had this experience? She's the fifth or six doe that I've bred from and none of the others have been like this...

Thanks.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm no expert, but I am wondering if this is her first litter? If so, maybe she is just bewildered and scared. I suppose her nipples might just be a bit sore, especially if she went thirty hours without nursing, without it being mastitis. Could you maybe rub a little vegetable oil on them after she nurses?

3. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

MaggieJ -thanks for the response, you were right - she is a first time mom, at least as far as having a litter survive, and a few days ago she finally went into the nest cage and nursed by herself; and yesterday she nursed them twice...so she'd been promoted to "good mother" in my rabbit herd...from possible cull...

I'll be looking for your posts in the future...and I apologize for taking so long to thank you...

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well,Sunshine Estate, chalk it up to a lucky guess... And thirty-year old memories of being a new mom. LOL. Its nice to hear that they are doing well. Hope all goes smoothly from here!