Nubian

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Susan Mary, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

Okay I have looked but cannot find the answer. Do Nubians have horns?

Thank you Susan

2. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

All goats, with the exception of those carrying the gene that causes polling, have horns. Most dairy goats are dusbudded or banded, so have no horns.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Yes, and they grow straight up and out....not like the Boers, which I much prefer if I had to choose. They grow curved back and aren't quite as dangerous. At least that is my experience!

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have several polled Nubians, meaning they are naturally hornless. But as stated above, unless they carry the polled gene, they will have horns unless disbudded. Even if you buy a polled Nubian, she will likely carry one (dominant) polled gene and one (recessive) horned gene, which means half of her offspring would be naturally horned.
    mary

5. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

Thank you that is exactly what I thought. The only reason I asked I have two does without horns. Now two month old set of babies that are not showing any horns at all.

Just maybe I got lucky!

Thank you again! Susan

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

By two months old you certainly should see some horns starting if they are going to have them. Once you know what to look for, you can actually tell right away whether or not they will be polled. A polled kid will have straight hair where a horned kid will have a little swirl where the horn will be. (Take a look next time you are at the barn. :) )
    mary