Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A servant
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The freezin weather has me very busy. But a short recap.
Large 170 # nubian pregant. I hand breed her SO i 100% knew the date. at day 157 I induced her with Lute and Dex.. 47 hours later she finally decided to give birth. Well pulg came out ok. then the sac started and 30 mins later. still no babies. So wife went in. felt Body. so had to turn baby. turned baby then going ok then a 3rd leg comes into pic. out of canal into site. so she pushed back in. and re positioned. Fisrt baby helping with. She sould not pull it out. I had to pull it ( I have x-large hands.) Gloves fit her. I cleaned well. quickly.) puled first baby out. Mal formed. then 2 nd baby came out. she layed down and she expelled a third one. 2nd and 3 rd normal pretty much. 2 boys. then my Experienced friend shows up. and she has a 4 th sac. come out a Ghost baby but no baby. just dark red fluid. We have babies in side.
But mom.
But mom gave probos.
gave 2 oz of Propyl Gylcol
shot of 5 cc agricillin
gave 2 cc of bose
Put warm water in stall and put warm mollassis water in barn she drank mollassis water.
Milked ou Colo. she gave 1/2 gallon.
all this between 4 and 5 pm.
at 11 pm went back and gaVE 1 1/2 oz of power punch. She ate on milk stand. but had not touch no more since.
\she is layingdown with head on ground like she is very tired. she picks her head upmaybe 1/2 of the time i go and check on her. every 1/2 hours this am 1 qt of colo. and refused to eat.
drenched her again with power punch.
her coat is still shiny and eyes are open and alert. her temp is 102.1
I will continue with the Power punch and Agricillin today. and i will take her for a walk today.
Fias co farm says Karo syrup and mollassis drench with?any thingDifferent you would do?
Oh i have been sprating a lavender oil spray on the walls . I have another milk goat in barn in other stall as company.
she has passed afterbirth. also.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Banamine for pain?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Certainly Banamine for pain. Goats do not handle pain at all.
What is her diet like? Has she been on alfalfa or alfalfa pellets?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Is she eating any hay? Do you have anything special you can tempt her with?? A bale of nice green alfalfa maybe(pricey I know, but if it gets her to eat...)
Also, I see you are in Georgia....anything growing green at this time of year that you could bring her?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Please stop doing stuff if you don't understand why you are doing it. 5cc of agricillin is doing nothing but harming the bugs in her rumen. If you want to use penn for her, because you delivered a dead kid, or because you had to interveen, you will have to give her 8cc to 12cc subq every 12 hours.

What are you using Dex for? If you are going after pain and inflammation it won't touch either, use banamine. Dex is a powerful steroid which you use as a protocoal of 6 shots, stepping the last 3 down....not one shot, unless trying to mature the lungs of kids before using lute to kid the doe out early.

Stop with all the molassas water, not only is thier less rumen flora from the penn, it is now causing acidosis, from all the acid molassas forms. What is in power punch? The whole sugar depleation after a doe kids is simply fluff, they are not animals that can be hypoglycemic.

I don't care how big your hands are, they are not larger than the kids you just delivered, so unless you pulled with legs back etc...she should be fine. IF you see alot of blood you may need to give oxytocin to control it, but this would be from ripping her cervics or some tissue damage in her vagina.

I would have given the doe calcium during the labor and pulled the kid alot earlier, gotten her through with the kidding so she wouldn't wear herself out.

At 36 hours the lute given in a good IM shot gives you an open cervic, so in reality you had a doe who was in labor before you even noted the 47 hours, lute doesn't take 47 hours. When you use lute like this at 34 hours on your should be doing pelvic to see what is happening with the doe. Artifically bringing them in to kid when they aren't ready means they also don't have kids in place. Does in the last part of pregnancy spend alot of time getting up and down and rubbing on the barn walls, placing kids. So you can expect with induction, kids who you simply have to move around. This prolonged delivery is why she is exhausted. Keep taking her temp and let her rest. Milk her as often as you can.

Do you have any CMPK to give? Has she passed her placentas, with 3 kids there should be 2? What is the lavaender oil for? Are you milking her, this will send down natural oxytocin to tone her uterus if you don't have oxtyocin.

Are your minerals adequate and your dealing with the copper defficency in your area so she is absorbing the calcium from her alfalfa pellets? Vicki

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
I agree stop with the dexamethazone. That is for inflammation post major trauma to stop swelling of the brain, not for general inflammation or pain relief, it is a powerful steroid and steroids interfere with the functioning of the immune system, if she is likely to become infected with any pathogens due to going in, etc, dex is only going to make things worse or more likely because the immune system is going to stop functioning well while she has it in her system, thankfully I think it is short acting...Banamine is what you need. She needs energy supplement and rest. I worked at a vet clinic and wildlife hospital for a few years--we only used dex when something came in that was hit by a car basically.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If she's passed the placenta, I 'd go with a uterine bolus of Tetracycline- Bio-Mycin200- 12ml with needle off of the syringe, as far into her vagina as it will go. Then another 10ml sub-cue. Pen would not be my drug of choice to keep infection at bay.

Yes, banamine. NO dex. She should pop right back for you.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
VERY interesting post from Vicki and Purple Martineer. I had a 3 year old first freshener who kidded last week. The first kid was classic breech position so I had to go in and pull it. The doe kid (of course) was dead despite swinging it to clear the lungs ( I have NEVER seen soooooo much fluid come out of an animal's lungs), doing mouth to mouth, etc. I think she'd been dead a while, no heartbeat. To make a short story long, I went back in to pull the second kid, a buck, and then again to make sure there were no more kids. I bolused her, gave LA200 (found out from V that was the wrong-should have been penicillin) but called the vet since she was very sore and very very tired. They prescribed 3 days of banamine and 2 days after THAT of dex...so I guess my question is, WHY would they prescribe the dex if the banamine would do the trick? They ARE equine/cattle vets so I do sometimes take their advice with a grain of salt, but I didn't even question this last one. I just don't know diddly about dexamethasone.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Please stop doing stuff if you don't understand why you are doing it. 5cc of agricillin is doing nothing but harming the bugs in her rumen. If you want to use penn for her, because you delivered a dead kid, or because you had to interveen, you will have to give her 8cc to 12cc subq every 12 hours.

What are you using Dex for? If you are going after pain and inflammation it won't touch either, use banamine. Dex is a powerful steroid which you use as a protocoal of 6 shots, stepping the last 3 down....not one shot, unless trying to mature the lungs of kids before using lute to kid the doe out early.

Stop with all the molassas water, not only is thier less rumen flora from the penn, it is now causing acidosis, from all the acid molassas forms. What is in power punch? The whole sugar depleation after a doe kids is simply fluff, they are not animals that can be hypoglycemic.

I don't care how big your hands are, they are not larger than the kids you just delivered, so unless you pulled with legs back etc...she should be fine. IF you see alot of blood you may need to give oxytocin to control it, but this would be from ripping her cervics or some tissue damage in her vagina.

I would have given the doe calcium during the labor and pulled the kid alot earlier, gotten her through with the kidding so she wouldn't wear herself out.

At 36 hours the lute given in a good IM shot gives you an open cervic, so in reality you had a doe who was in labor before you even noted the 47 hours, lute doesn't take 47 hours. When you use lute like this at 34 hours on your should be doing pelvic to see what is happening with the doe. Artifically bringing them in to kid when they aren't ready means they also don't have kids in place. Does in the last part of pregnancy spend alot of time getting up and down and rubbing on the barn walls, placing kids. So you can expect with induction, kids who you simply have to move around. This prolonged delivery is why she is exhausted. Keep taking her temp and let her rest. Milk her as often as you can.

Do you have any CMPK to give? Has she passed her placentas, with 3 kids there should be 2? What is the lavaender oil for? Are you milking her, this will send down natural oxytocin to tone her uterus if you don't have oxtyocin.

Are your minerals adequate and your dealing with the copper defficency in your area so she is absorbing the calcium from her alfalfa pellets? Vicki
Good advice.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Uterine bolus is a very old fashion idea, whose time has passed, it can adhere and necrose the tissue of the uterus and it's part of the bibliography of, I believe, Goat Medicine. Flushing uterus isn't something I give a lot of advice to do, when most don't have the equipment it actually takes to do it correctly or a good handle on anatomy to get the pipette or catheter into the uterus and not just douche the vagina :) But yes uterine infusion of tetracycline is best, but for keeping uterine infection at bay, metritis, pennicillin works, it's in everyones cabinet and it isn't put off on starting it because you have to run to town first.

I have no idea why a vet would perscribe anything but 6 days of banamine, or actually most don't even need anything passed the 2nd shot.

For swelling in the rear preperation H works better anyway since you can spread it on topically.

I don't do alot of systemic antibiotics, I go by the gross out, yuck factor. You gross me out, and you get put on them, otherwise a simple dead kid (not decomposing) gets a uterine flush.

You want to preserve uterine tissue, you want to assist and no have to pull kids, too much pulling, to much damage, any infection and you have barren does you never will get bred or if bred won't hold their pregnancies.

Vicki

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
A uterine flush of tetracycline...would that be a flush of LA200? I had no idea about the bolus...THAT was what the vets suggested as well and I had them on hand from last year...live and learn. The doe is doing fine now. I think the silver lining is that they sold me 1/2 bottle of dex and 1/2 bottle of banamine off their treatment shelf so I have those on hand if needed AND they are not even close to expiring.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Any 200mg tetracycline. On goatkeeping 101 of dairygoatinfo.com is Sue Reith's article, getting that doe bred (Or something like that). In it is the treatment for uterine infection. New for me this year is this new super soaker infusion setup from the vet...it's so cool, I may use it just cause :) Vicki

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Any 200mg tetracycline. On goatkeeping 101 of dairygoatinfo.com is Sue Reith's article, getting that doe bred (Or something like that). In it is the treatment for uterine infection. New for me this year is this new super soaker infusion setup from the vet...it's so cool, I may use it just cause :) Vicki
Today went I went out to feed, and she'd passed a LOT of that postpartum yucky pink crud...there'd been pretty much nothing unusual since the 10th, then this. However, her temp is normal, she's eating fine, and her kid is growing well, so I'm still just watching.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts