Nubian questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

How much do they eat? Do they have any special needs? can u milk them once a day? how much do they weigh? how big do they get? what is the price range? isnt a Kinder a cross between a nubian doe and a pygmy buck? (how does he reach her!?)
    I am thinking about getting two or so does or doelings for milking and producing Kinders, as i hear that they are a great cross, producing milk and lots of babies, plus a convenient size.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

someone has got to know something!!! plz?

3. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Kinders: Yes, pygmy buck nubian doe. I don't know how they breed. If you are starting a herd of your own not only must the pygmy and nubian be registered it take I think five generations before you get a registerable kinder.

Nubians can be big, I have adult 2 year olds at 95lbs and 165lbs so a wide range. You could search out a herd with small, medium or large animals.

Nubians are good eaters but like other breeds no more than 1lb a day of grain for nonmilkers and up to 4lbs of grain for milkers. (If you have good grazing with lots of red clover, timothy, a little alfalpha, etc. you really don't need to feed nonmilkers grain, they'd get what they need from a complete pasture but you would almost certainly have to sow one with that purpose in mind.

Nubians have the richest milk in my opinion and technically they have the highest butter fat which is why they're milk is so rich.

Price; I bought my herd (4) $45 and $65 for two 6 mos olds. $135 and $175 for the two older milkers. Depends on where you live and how many herds are in your area.

Special needs: They need loved! They love attention and want alot of it and will cry and call for you if you are out in the yard ignoring them.

4. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.