Nubian/Pygmy crosses

Discussion in 'Goats' started by southrngardngal, Nov 21, 2006.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

I read an articles about a lady that crossed a nubian doe with a pygmy buck and the result was a small milk goat.

Do any of you know about this breed and the name of it? I tried to look this up but was unable to find it on the web.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

southrngardngal-Jan

2. GregCO

GregCO Member

They are called Kinder's and are a great little milker. Another plus is they will breed year around so you can always have a doe in milk if you spread out the breedings.

Greg

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

People are starting to show kinders in parts of the country too. I know several people who have owned and bred them. Usually pygmy people are knowledgable folk. I personally don't own any but may have an accidental Nubian/Boer crossed witth my pygmy buck. What would you call that? A mutt goat? lol. A kindermutt maybe. I'm sure a doe would bring good milk though. Anyway, kinders are very nice but slightly wirey personality. They are adorable.

4. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Yep, I'm experimenting with Kinders.

From my point of view? You need to handle them as babies just as you would any goat. Otherwise they can be a bit wild.

This will be the second freshening for my Kinder and I'm eager to see her udder. HOWEVER. Her udder will only be as good as her parent's lineage...

Good luck!

Meat and milk for the table!

5. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Kinders! Adorable things. Love their look.

6. hippiehill

hippiehill Active Member

I just bred my Nubian doe to a pygmy buck. Wish me luck! Slowly starting my own kinder line. Next year my other nubian to a different pygmy buck. Hopefully I'll then breed those kids. I'm also honing in on a Togg/pygmy cross. There is a lot of interest in smaller milkers, especially because people seem to be doing more on smaller acreage. They should eat less and be easier to house, manage, and they breed year round. And darn cute too!

7. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Kinders are dual purpose, too :)
    Milk and meat...plus draft, pack, companion...
    ~Carrie C.

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

What are the udders like? I've tried milking someone else's ND's and it was like a perpetual first freshner, little teats and two finger milking. Are they more like the nubian's udder?

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have my four best Nubians bred to a Pygmy and my first Kinders are due Dec. 16th.

I also want good udders. My big dairy girls have great to excellent udders and two have huge teats. I am hoping that the kinder does will have nice teats for hand milking. I bottle feed my babies so I expect them to be as personable as other bottle babies :)

Christy

10. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Our Kinders were very easy to milk, probably overall the easiest of all the breeds we've had including NDs and large breeds. But, not all NDs are hard to milk just like not all Nubians or other large breeds are easy to milk... it all depends on the goat and often the person milking them :)