Nubian lost her voice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Over the last two days one of my 6 mos olds has lost her voice. No other symptoms. Eyes are bright, coat is sleek and shiny, appetite is good, no off stools, no temp, no coughing, no lumps. Was wormed last in August, with Ivomec.

Day before yesterday, she sounded normal. Yesterday, a bit hoarse. Today, no voice at all.

What else should I be checking? I can't find anything about a goat that's lost it's voice on the net or in my books. Or should I just call in a vet?

Meg :confused:

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

might be allergies.

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

She's a Nubian she probably just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa herself into no voice. Kind of like yelling at a ball game till you go hoarse. Was she in or had you moved her? I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you know my nubians aren't that noisy. sorry, but they aren't. my girls don't talk like people say nubians do.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey, thanks for the thoughts...and I have to agree with deb...even my city-boy hubby has asked me why the Alpines are so noisy...and why can't they be more like those sweet Nubians! :haha:

I'm keeping an eye on her, just in case. Seems odd to have a goat with larengitis, but since nobody jumped on it as a recognizable sign of something, I feel much better.

Thanks again, you two. I appreciate the input.

Meg :)

6. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Has she been coughing? In my Goat Medicine Book the only info is as follows:

.....Laryngitis or Tracheitis: These conditions are suspected when stridors are audible and can be localized to the corresponding portions of the upper respiratory tract. As discussed before the trachea of a normal goat feels quite small.
    .....Common causes: Collars pressing on the trachea may induse coughing (which could cause laryngitis)...Tracheitis because of irritants such as smoke, dust, white wash, and ammonia in urine-soaked bedding has already been alluded to in the discussion of coughing. Get down to goat level and inhale deeply. If hay is dusty, the owner should try shaking it out while the goats are out of the stall. If a goat is eating well and maintaining normal production and body condition, occasional coughing when fed or aroused is of no real concern.

It wasn't addressed much at all.....
    p.s. My Alpines holler every time they hear me clang a dish in the kitchen...noisy...GEEZZZ!!! :p

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey, MM,
    Thanks for the suggestion. She doesn't have the slightest cough, and still no other symptoms at all! I keep looking for something I can put my finger on, but nothing! And none of the others are having any problems at all. I'm stumped...but watching!

Meg :)