nubian losing hair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dockamo, Jun 11, 2006.

1. dockamo

dockamo Member

help--my nybian-16mo.--is losing her hair on her back and sides--her tail was bleeding a little bit this morning--her skin is really flakey-and she keeps moving her skin on her back and sides like there is a fly on her--nothing has changed in her diet or anything--any ideas or HELP--thanks--lou

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Your goat may have lice. You can dust her with sevin or get something from your vet.

Hope she recovers soon,

Christy

3. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I would agree with the goat lice deal. When my little buster had it I noticed his hair was getting thin. I rubbed my finger across his hair and there I could see little bug moving along. I just rubbed in the lice dust (sorry can't remember what it was called) but in a couple days he was getting better.

4. dockamo

dockamo Member

just went out and looked--can't find anything moving around-just a whole lot of dry skin-dandruff like stuff--i checked her over good and its all over--head neck sides back-everywhere--you rub you hand over her and it is like it is snowing in june--

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

maybe a deficiency of some sort? I have heard that Zinc is important, I think. Someone posted that Blackoil sunflower seeds are good, so I give them and the goaties love em.

6. cmharris6002

I still think it is some sort of lice. My goats had this eariler this spring. Nothing moving, just lots of dandruff so I gave then some wheat germ oil and stuff. Nothing worked until I tried the Sevin, there was NO dandruff on them only twelve hours later.

You might want to give it a try...

7. dockamo

dockamo Member

ok i will get some in the morning--i powder kind that you put on your plants--right--do i kinda rub it in the hair all over her body--???thanks for all the help--will let you know what happens

8. cmharris6002

Yes, it is the plant kind. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. I lightly dusted their backs then brushed it in.

Christy