Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two does lamanchas one is a first fresher milking since febuary and the other is 8 months old . I can get a 9 month old Nubian buck from a nice milking herd . what would you think of this cross ?

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
I love the cross :). Out of all the breeds I probably love Nubians next to LaManchas and in fact I have a Nubian doe from Yarrow I am crossing onto my LaMancha bucks :). I have had two does that where Nubian/LaMancha crosses and one of my American's is from one of the does. Here are some photos :).

Okay so the photos
#1 is a 3/4 LaMancha and 1/4 Nubian. Her dam is the doe in photo #3.

#2 is my American LaMancha who is a granddaughter of the black doe in photo #4.

#3 is a 1/2 Nubian and 1/2 LaMancha (dam to doe in picture#1)

#4 is also a 1/2 Nubian and 1/2 LaMancha (grand dam to doe in picture#2)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
My tiny-eared herd has Nubian blood and I love the cross. I only have one purebred Lamancha doeling, (and a pure Lamancha sire). The other three doelings are crossed with Nubian. I have dibbs on Nubian x Lamancha doelings, if they are born, from a family dairy nearby. Cattleman have long had cross bred cows on pure bred bulls and there is something to that. I'm keeping a full blood Lamancha buck (or two as the herd grows) with cross bred does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a great cross. I have two that are half-sisters. The best of both worlds. Great milkers. Both also have the bigger, beefier size of the Nubian. Gotta loves those elf-ears! Great personalities and easy milkers.

·
Ages Ago Acres Nubians
2,609 Posts
we always breed at least one doe for this cross each year... they are super silly.. smart.. grow off well, milk great..

susie, mo ozarks

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts