Nubian Heat is it Seasonal??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pkfarms, Apr 9, 2005.

1. pkfarms

pkfarms New Member

I have been told by my husband (who had goats as a child but none as an adult) that Nubians are Seasonal breeders and will not come in in the Summer. Then I talked to a seasoned goat breeder (20+ years) and she said if they haven't been around a buck that they would more than likely come in at any time. :confused: Which is right? I am asking as the lady doesn't want to try to breed until the first part of June as it's so hot here any other time. I agree, I don't think kidding in the heat of the Summer is a great idea but I don't want to miss having kids either. BTW, I found a beautiful Reg Nubian buck right here where I live. YEAH! :dance: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kristie Crawford
    Odessa, TX
    PK Farms
    pkfarms@gmail.com

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The bucks are in rut usually starting in August thru Jan.

Does cycle when not preg. every 17-22 days.

So it is just like the deer....the boys go into rut and then breed all the does.

One of the smaller breed of goats will breed year round. Or you could use AI instead of waiting for the buck to do his thing.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my nubians, will breed anytime. !!!!spring , summer, fall, winter, they don't care. run the buck past them , and they are i heat. but Mine cylce year around.

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

It depends upon your location. However, mine do not come into heat year round. They are seasonal breeders in this part of the US. I wouldnt want to be breeding them more than once per year anyways as I milk mine through up until their next breeding. I believe that the milking part is very important, and not stressed enough with dairy goats. A lot of breeders these days just breed for show.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in Central Texas, and my Nubians have kidded in every season. So, the answer is it depends. lol.
    mary

6. pkfarms

pkfarms New Member

I am in west TX and the does haven't been around a buck for 5+ months and won't be around one until we are ready to breed. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have decided to wait until mid-late May or early June otherwise it would be too hot. I plan on milking them...that's the whole purpose of my breeding. Thank you all who have replied!