Nubian Goat Coloring

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a doeling named Hope who is mostly Nubian with (to me) an unusual coloring.... If you look under dapple gray horses she comes in as a rose gray. She is quite pretty. Has anyone else had this coloring? Her accents are white-ears.

Her mom is jet black with redbrown accent legs/facial stripes and white ears. Mom is Nubian(registered dad) and toggy/alpine(mom from registered herd). Dad was a medium brown with white spots grade 100% Nubian.

I dont have a way of posting pics but there are pics of a rose/gray horse @

http://www.equusite.com/articles/basics/colors/colorsGray.shtml

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I looked up that color. She sounds beautiful!

I have a couple nubians but they aren't my specialty area. I personally thought they came in all kinds of colors.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The only dominant color in Nubians is white. It's too hard to get consistant Nubians without even dealing with color. What you will find is that most breeders who tightly linebreed into their bloodline will have consistant colors in their herd, I used to be very well known for my black does with white splashes, I am slowly going red and blonde :) She does sound lovely, Cynthia Stewart who owns Buttercup Acres her here in Texas, she is very linebred on San Soucci, giving her doe after doe who is light to medium brown with beige large spalshes, a very beautiful herd. What I don't find lovely is spots, nothing uglier than a big ole Nubian buck with spots, especially when they a tri colored. Why Nubians are soo much fun they come in all colors and patterns, I have a 2 year old with perfect Togg markings, but black and white rather than lavander. Vicki