Nubian Doe vomiting

Discussion in 'Goats' started by NubianGoatGirl, Aug 9, 2005.

1. NubianGoatGirl

NubianGoatGirl Active Member

My Nubian doe makes funny noises and then vomits whenever she starts to eat. The vomitus is thick and contains grain. She has been doing this ever since she gave birth, and the vet said he didn't hear anything unusual when he listened with his stethoscope. What could be making her do this??

Tracy

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

He's just listening to the wrong end :) First make sure you aren't filling her full of molassased sweet feed. It makes the rumen very acidic.

But I bet she has something wrong in her mouth. Either an abscess in the area she carriers her cud (she is not vomiting, she is slinging her cud) or she has a molar causing her pain. Goats need dental health just like horses do. A vet with a small horse speculum can open her mouth and check out her molars. One may be rotten, and need to be pulled, or not have a match on the top or bottom so she is grinding against gum and when a hard pellet or peice of corn gets in this space, it is painful. Floating their teeth by rasping them down, and pulling rotten teeth, just like with horses, adds years of healthy life to your goat. Vicki

3. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Oh man! It was hard enough to find an equine dentist that could take care of my miniature horse's teeth properly (and he comes up from Texas) but where in the world does one find someone who can float goats? :shrug: I have a set of miniature dental floats.....I wonder how hard it would be to learn.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You can easily learn any procedure. My mother, an old horseman, Morgan Quarter Horses, now Arabians, her animals are still shown at Nationals by sis...used to look at my old does for me each year when they would come from CA to TX. My vet is a horsewoman herself, so she will be doing it for me in the coming years. Just like some don't take care of their horses teeth, some don't think about doing it on their goats either. But your older stock is always your most valuable animals, obviously they would not still be in your herd if they were not earning thier keep. So starting after thier fifth birthday we do have their teeth looked at. I have tried personally with leather gloves, with welders gloves, with a piece of PVC pipe that was described on the old Countrysidemag.com list...sorry but I need my fingers :)

Obvioulsy if you are dealing with breeds like Nubians and boers where mouth faults are actually common, and genetic it becomes even more of a concern. Vicki

5. NubianGoatGirl

NubianGoatGirl Active Member

I looked in my doe's mouth, but I didn't see anything unusual or swollen. She doesn't have any swollen lymph nodes either. I am not used to looking in a goat's mouth, so I don't know what I am looking at. I feed my goats 14% sweet feed-could that be her problem? My other goats don't sling their cud, and she never did until she gave birth this spring. I do plan to get a vet out here my next day off. She doesn't sling her cud every time she eats. Probably more like every other time I feed her.

Tracy