Nubian Breeding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gccrook, Dec 6, 2006.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Will nubian does come into heat when it is really cold out? I have a friend who wants me to breed his doe. She is about 3, and has kidded before. I have her here now, but she has not come into heat, and it has been really cold here. Just woondering if they quit coming into heat when it is really cold (teens at night)?

2. sixstrothers

sixstrothers Hallelujah Dairy

I have Nubians and the cold has not stopped ours from coming in heat. Can she see your buck? Do you know when she cycled last?

3. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

Our Nubians usually do not start to cycle until the cold hits (about 35F or lower in the night time), some occasionally (usually younger ones/first timers) will not cycle until our colder January temps come, most always they stop cycling at about mid - end of March, when things start to thaw slightly. It may just be our climate? Buck smells are always encouraging to them. :)

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Thanks. I do not know when she cycled last, as the guy I got them from does not really know how to tell, and he does not have a buck near him. My does started cycling around Sep, and they were bred in Oct-Nov. I just realized that I have only had her for a little over 2 weeks, so might still happen. She has access to the fence between her and that buck, and that is how I usually tell when they are in heat. They sort of become glued to that fence. Thanks again.