nubian/boer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Nov 9, 2004.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

how do i see if a nubian doe is realy a nubien and not a mix with a boer?
    a mix between thoose two breeds would not give surplus milk?
    i'm getting two nubian does both about 11 month old from a guy that is trading mostly meat goats and he found the two in ohio. if they are crossbreeds which i don't hope, could i breed them back to a nubian buck to get some fair milking does?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

One of my best milkers was half Boer/half Nubian. Breeding back to a Nubian should increase production in the kids.

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Yes, really, it may be a benifit. Boers are quieter (can't tell when they are in heat other then the tail wagging), they are easy keepers and don't mind rain and snow. Any goat can give milk, it's a matter of the bag size and how much you need.

4. Honeybee

Honeybee Well-Known Member

I have 3 nubian boer cross does, one buck and one nubian lamancha. Two of them are two year olds and have not been bred yet. They are the biggest does I've ever seen. I mean I couldn't believe it when I first saw them. They are huge and heavy bodied, can't wait to see what they throw. My other two are half sisters and smaller. One bred at a year old gave the best milk out of all my goats, sweet, creamy, very good. But she only gave a little bit. We were milking her once a day and letting her feed her kid all day too though. I am hoping she'll produce more this year and that her boer/lamanch sister will produce milk as good as hers. All of our nubian/boers are very easy keepers. I hope it works out for you.