Nubian Boer cross

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Aug 25, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

Has anyone here bred a nubian doe to a boer buck? If so, I would like to know it produces a dual purpose goat.... Is the milk output still good? Thanks

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I think Nubians are already a dual purpose goat...so by crossing with a boer goat I think you may lose milk not get more.

3. Indrananda

Indrananda Member

We get about 3lbs+ almost 4 from milking our nub/boer cross. Milks fine, tastes great, noisy as hell :( We want sannans next time... We hear tell (or don't) that they're Niiice and Quiet.

Indy

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:rolleyes: My Saanen Maisy is a big loud talker/yeller when she wants to be. :)

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Nubian Boer crosses are VERY common, if you use a VERY good quality Boer buck from SOUTH AFRICAN lines and a Nubian Doe with VERY GOOD Milking lines, and a good solid long fraim, you will have VERY GOOD percentages from this breeding,

if you just use any ol Boer buck with out papers, or with papers but not from the best lines, and a Nubian doe thats just a grade regular old doe then you will get some goats that may or may not be what you want, yes they will probably be a nice meat goat to send to the freezer but nothing near as good as what you COULD have gotten.

after haveing seen Pure Boer does who have awsome udders and put out LOTS of milk for MULTIPLE kids, and haveing KNOWN their breedings and their back ground i can honestly say that good Boer blood is not the low milk output poor producers that some people think, its all in how you handle them and in their breeding.

Nubian and Boer is a good mix if its done right, quite frankly Boer Blood has alot to offer MOST if not ALL goat Crosses that are in the Meat industry

6. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

My saanan yearling milker screamed constantly! She was a nightmare! My nubian doe doesn't make a sound, except sometimes she quietly hums!
    I've heard obers are the quietest big girls...

Pourfolkes, Nubian/boer crosses are common and I like them. Usually the offspring does give less milk than their mother, but more than most purebred Boer does. Great meat/great milk Boer lines seem to be few and far between, I have no doubt they exist. Nubians are supposed to be a dual purpose breed, but some lines are simply very refined and dairy, and some are big and meaty. My nubian doe gave me meaty boys and refined does. Perfect!

KSALguy- I have known some EXCELLENT dairy grade milkers, better than many purebreds. Why must boer bucks be bred to a purebred dairy goat?

Anyway, I really like boer/nubian crosses.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

my verbage was off i am sorry i did not mean to say only pure bred, only that if you breed a SO SO buck to a SO SO doe you wont get much if anything beyond a SO SO kid

yes there are AWSOME milking non registerd non pure bred does, and there are some pretty crappy pure bred milkers as well,

like i said my verbage was off and i appologise,

8. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I have a Nubian/Boer doe that I plan to breed to my Nubian buck. I was told if I bred the Boers with Nubians they produce more milk for the multiple kids. I don't know if I will milk one yet or not.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Boers have very high butterfat, so breeding that into your dairy stock could be a good thing -- but choose Boers with good udders, and of general good quality, not just whatever happens to come available.

I liked my Oberhasli/Boer doe -- she was 3/8 Boer, which I think is just about right. (I thought she was half and half when I got her, but later learned that her Boer father was a quarter Togg). So, now I have her three kids, who are down to only 3/16 Boer. I'm getting two kids next year who will be sired by a solid red Boer buck (trying to get that white out of there), and out of a good Oberhasli doe. The plan is to breed the new buck kid to my 3/16 doe in a years time, and the new doe kid to my solid red 3/16 buck kid which will put me back to the percentages I want of Boer and Oberhasli.

A lady I know who milks some Boer crosses said that their teats are thicker-skinned than straight dairy does, and I noticed that also with my cross doe. It makes them a little bit harder to milk, but the quality of the milk was excellent.

Kathleen

10. Indrananda

Indrananda Member

Sheesh, you'd think that some of the things I've been told about goats'd be true... :shrug: All the books and all the people (present company excluded) have told us that sannans are quiet as mice... We have a sannan doe coming from a lady nearby who swears up and down that hers are quiet as can be, unlike her old nubians... Guess it's more an individual thing and not a general breed trait...

Indy

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Crossing Boer bucks with Nubian does is how many herds of Boers were originally estabished.

I have some dairy goats with Boer blood in them and they are great. Boers are quite hardy and tend to need less care, at least mine do. Boer milk is rich and creamy and yes, the texture of their udders is a bit different, but I like it. I have one doe who comes from a doe who was a Boer/Nubian cross who was bred to a Lamancha buck. So the resulting cross is 1/2 Lamancha 1/4 Nubian 1/4 Boer. She is an excellent milker with very rich milk and gives almost as much as a purebred Lamancha. She throws meaty kids when bred back to a Boer and dairy type kids when bred back to a Lamancha. (any kids with Boer blood in them cannot be graded up in the ADGA) I have one of this does offspring that is 5/8 Boer 2/8 Lamancha 1/8 Nubian...she is bottle fed and very tame. I will be milking her next year. She looks like a Boer with no ears. Red with a white body but of dairy type. vey interesting. I also find that anything with Boer blood has a glossier coat, needs less worming, is heat tolerant, stays fat, and has great hooves.