Nubian/Boer cross?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bbbuddy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Hi all, there are 2 Nubian/Boer cross does near me "looking for a good home". 6 months old.
    I was hoping to get a Nubian or two and breed to a pygmy buck for Kinders.
    Anyone know how these would turn out, with the Boer blood in them, or should I just take a flyer and see how they come out??

Thanks!

2. bbjrabbits

bbjrabbits Well-Known Member

Where are you located, thanks Bill

3. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Gosh I think it'd be good to get them- good milking, nice fleshing.... should be very hardy and grow good babies for you. You could breed them for whatever you wanted- milk, meat, etc.
    If the price is right, I'd do it.

JMO,
    Susie

4. bbbuddy

I'm in AZ.
    So do you think if I bred them to a pygmy buck the kids would still be close to Kinder type?

Don't know what they cost, ad said "to good home" no price listed, still waiting to hear back from them...

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have a boer/nubian mix and she a sweetheart. Are you asking if you breed her to a pgymy would the kids of her be friendly too?

Sorry I do not know what your meaning but if asking if still be friendly I wouldn't see why not.

Good Luck

6. bbbuddy

No, I'm wondering if they would be like the breed called Kinder goats. Kinders are a cross between Nubian and pygmy.
    Kinders are what I would like, but figured I would have to get a Nubian doe and breed to a pygmy buck from around here to get some, because I haven't found any Kinder breeders around here.

I'm just wondering how the Boer mixed in would affect the outcome.
    Perhaps I would get meatier Kinders??

7. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I breed a Boer to a pygmy. The kids look like little tanks. Nice meaty bodies, short legs. Can be used for meat or milk.

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

they obviously wont be what they call Kinder but they would be a nice goat, good Boer Does put out alot of milk, so it all depends on how good of a milker the Nubian side was and how much good genes they got from the Boer side, IE if the boer side was just a Percent Boer to begin with anyway,

i would say if they are in good shape to go ahead and get them, the only reason i WOULDNT get them is if something was wrong with them

9. AllWolf

OH OK now I understand. Sorry if seem like a dip on that part. :nerd: I done internet searching and now I understand better about that breed. They are a dual purpose goat. See I have learned something else new today on goats. LOL.

Kinders are a small duel propose breed (both for dairy and meat) developed in the US by crossing Nubians with Pygmies. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. Kinders breed year round.

So you must be wanting meat and milk.. Forgive me for not understanding that earlier.. Gosh I feel like a total :nerd: Now.. I knew of most breeds of goats but didn't know this one. :)

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know the answer to your question, but would suggest to you that you check their udders closely. Many boer does carry extra teats, which you would not want in a milk goat. Because of this, I'm not sure I would try it.
    mary

11. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I have a Boer/Nubian doe that I just got and a Nubian buck that I intend to use for breeding. We are going for milk and meat. I also have a Pygmy/Mutt that I am going to breed to the Nubian to see how that comes out.
    I think it would be a good choice, I'd get them.

12. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

multiple teats are only bad on show dairy goats which this will obviously NOT be,
    if you have multiple teats on a milk goat and they work you can milk them off too, if they dont you dont have to worry about it, simple as that,

13. mary,tx

I hope you don't mean that you would breed the Nubian buck to the smaller pygmy doe. :help:
    mary

14. mary,tx

They look nasty to me, but if they don't bother you...

15. AllWolf

Just one thing I going to say here on this topic. Never breed a bigger buck to a smaller doe. Example breeding a Nubian buck to a pygmy doe is very dangerous. Why because the pygmy doe may not be able to have the baby and kill her but the other way around like breed a pygmy buck to a Nubian Doe that would be better. I have a buck that is big and I will never breed a small doe to a big buck due to be the life or death of the doe alone could lose the kid/kids in the process.