Nubain doe question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reauxman, May 27, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I am considaring buying a doe that there is a slim chance she is AI'ed. She's a nubian, from MuseMarks in MS. I just won't be able to milk her and bottle feed the kids if it turns out she is pregnant. Could I just let her feed these without a problem? She's a really nice doe and he made a deal thats great. He also has an adorable little spotted buck kid. He's about a week now. I can buy him for $100, but I'd have to bottle feed him. Can I use a milk replacer?

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

You can use milk replacer. We are fortunate to have someone not terribly far from us that we buy their milk from when we bottle feed. These people raise a lot of Nubians and what they do is: 24 hours after mom gives birth, they take the baby and milk the mom. Then they milk the mom and eventually they have more than they need from the mom and get milk for themselves.

Maybe you can locate someone with milk goats that you can purchase gallons of milk from. We put ours in the freezer a weeks worth at a time and then go pick up new milk once a week.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd be sure to ask how closely related the Nanny and buckling are if breeding is your intention.
    At 1 week old you are looking at feeding about 10 oz 3 times a day.

You can leave kids on Nanny but a bottle fed kid makes a gentle milker in the future or a well-behaved buck. Its a trade off, there is also a risk of passing on cae or cl if mom carries it if you dont pasteurize/bottle feed. However, I employ both methods for my girls, because it works for my (small) homestead purposes.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If you go with a milk replacer, be sure NOT to get soy based.
    Another option is to buy whole milk at the store.
    mary

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

use vitamin d milk from the store, much better than replacer, now, is she bred and milking? Is that what yo are asking? if she is , you can continue to milk her, until her last 5 weeks before birth. usually the doe will taper off her milk, as she gets farther along, but not always, but stop milking her about 5 weeks or so, before she kids, and you are fine, that way, uou can feed the little buckling her milk, if she is in milk now. but bottle feed, it is work, but you get a much better anamail, because they are use to you holding them, and having lots of human contact .

7. Reauxman

She is a yearling doe and only possibly bred. The buck is a nice spotted and one of the nicest looking nubians I have seen. I am not interested in the milk ammount, but moreso in color. A herd of brown goats doesn't interest me. They are not related to my knowledge.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I let my goats raise their own babies and the babies are VERY tame. I just make a point of petting them every day, especially bonding with them the first few days after birth. They are very bratty and won't leave me alone. I don't see how they could be any tamer by bottle raising (which I have done in the past). I milk two of the LaMancha does and get a gallon and a half of milk to two gallons a day (combined) with the babies (two set of twins ) left on the moms only during the day. They are about 6-7 weeks old. Each doe has a wether and a doeling. I imagine when I wean them soon, I will get quite a bit of milk. I am milking twice a day now. Every day I get more milk than the day before. Boy, have I rattled on!....Diane

PS: I breed for proper udder and temperment. Color and "show conformation" are secondary for me now at this stage of my herd developement. I cull poor personality and poor udders. My mission is to breed gentle milkers that anyone can handle.

9. Reauxman

I think I'll just get the little buck. Trying to get ahold of the breeders to see if I can pick up tomorrow. Will he be able to live with a barbados ewe?

10. susanne

sheep and goats have very different needs of minerals. and a goat buck is able to breed a sheep but the offsprings will not survive. if you already have the sheep why don't you get another one instead of this buck kid? would be so much easier for you.
    susanne

11. Reauxman

I have read in another post that they can live together without a problem. I have no intention of breeding them. I am getting this goat as I doubt I will run into something this close to what I want anytime soon.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If your ewe is full grown I wouldnt think the bug would be big enough to do any "damage" anytime soon.....but she may not take kindly to him intruding on her terf.

I have full range colored Nubians....they are very pretty and sweet!

Best of luck whichever way you go....use the calf replacer stuff or store milk (red cap) for feeding him. He may need a playmate though if your ewe wont take to him....maybe you should get the doe too :) just to be safe!

13. Reauxman

Mom's already having a fit over this one, another(especially a doe kid...lol) would really make her kill me. I think I'll stick with him and save for another older doe soon. The ewe isn't here, but she'll be about a month older than he is.

14. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you are buying from MuseMark themselves, Dween Muse is a very reputable breeder. She could eaisly tell you if this buckling is too close of a breeding for you to breed to this doe and her doeling if she has one. Ask her, she has always been a very giving person with lots of information, she used to put together milking machines and was very nice to me.

Secondly, you are purchasing a doe who has the potential to milk alot. Most folks who breed awhile have does who milk more than the average family goat. She will have ALOT more colostrum and milk the first couple of weeks than one, two or even 3 kids will need, or can consume. So although you leave the kids on her, you will have to milk out the udder completely at least once a day. Otherwise the side the kids don't nurse will clogg and dry up, then when they do need more milk, about 2 weeks, they won't have enough from the one side. It also leaves the udder ugly and lopsided, with teats that are balooned out.

Milk replacer is a poor replacement for goats milk to feed your new junior herd sire! Go with grocery store milk if you can't get goats milk. Read all the posts on the board where milkreplacer + infant ruminant (cow, goat, sheep) = DEATH Vicki

15. Reauxman

Yes, I am purchasing from Mrs. Dween herself. I plan on raising him on store bought cows milk. I may look for a doe in milk as well, but Mrs. Dween has none for sale.

16. susanne

maybe she has a doe kid to go with your buck kid? don't keep him single. goats are herd animals.
    susanne

17. Reauxman

Well, I got him. I have a pic below, he isn't as cute now with 2 huge burn marks on his head, and especially since she missed the head once and got the ear...Lets just hope it heals good or his show career was just screwed. I turned down a wether to go with him as I would like to keep him alone for now until he is a little older(don't have room for two in the house, and putting one in here and one out is defeating the pourpose) Here he is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Reauxman

Well, here's his pic. He's spoiled already :) Get out f his sight and he'll scream, take two steps and he takes three.
    [​IMG]