Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
"OOOohhhhhh.. You tell such scary stories Unkle.. I'm so scared.. Please keep me safe.... "

Seriously.. this is not any new news... but they keep regurgitating the same fear mongering stories to justify keeping the NSA running full steam ahead and trashing our rights....

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
"OOOohhhhhh.. You tell such scary stories Unkle.. I'm so scared.. Please keep me safe.... "

Seriously.. this is not any new news... but they keep regurgitating the same fear mongering stories to justify keeping the NSA running full steam ahead and trashing our rights....
You nailed it. Probably owns stock in solar energy companies too.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
"could shut down the electric grid in parts of the United States." Any attack would have to take down not only the eight regional control centers but also every utility dispatch center. That's not likely. Areas can be compartmentalized within regions meaning power will revert to a local/area basis without interties.

The talking head obviously doesn't understand how the Northeast utilities restored power after the big blackout.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Alternative power source is in, operational and can handle more then we figured. All my freezers, fridge, well pump, boiler and heat pumps, everything in my kitchen can even be used. Kids will love the TV and internet was included in the "we have more power and breakers let's use them" upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I have had a small solar system since 2006 and have added to it a couple of times. Now I power three freezers, fridge, lights and a pellet stove full time. Not only am I ready for grid troubles or failure, but I save on my grid power bill considerably.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
For those of you who had the insight to prepare, I'd be careful; about letting other people know about this. Desperate people=Desperate measures.

It's one prep that is sorta hard to hide............

Even the local concrete company dispatcher, who has never been to my place, says in reply to my directions for a truck "Oh.....yeah.....you're the guy with all the solar, I see them on Google Earth".

So for everybody trying to live up that "un-named river" along with the king of survivor blogs, ya ain't fooling anybody. I can look at a place and tell you in a couple minutes who is doing what. What you better do is have fairly good plans in place for how you are going to keep what you've got.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
How well does solar function in locations where there is a lot of overcast skies or complete cloud cover, rain and snow for weeks and months on end?

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Actually, I do think a grid down situation is one of the top reasons to prep. Between solar flares/CMEs, EMP/HEMP, cyber attacks, and physical attacks, I do believe we could lose grid electric and it wouldn't be coming back overnight.

It's fine to say, "I have a backup genny, so I'll be fine." I have one, too. However, you have to look at the big picture...it's more than losing power to your home. It's what doesn't get delivered because the fuel pumps don't work and the computers that tell companies what to take where when are down. It's the lack of medical care because EVERYTHING is electrically powered, from medical records stored in computer systems, to the IV pumps and beds, to the med dispensers. It's even losing cooling capacity at nuclear power plants, G forbid. Fukishima, anyone?

I doubt the power grids have been hardened enough to withstand any and all threats. I hope against hope that I'm wrong, and there is absolutely no threat, but realistically, we have a lot of enemies who would LOVE to take us down. Personal preps are great, and I add to mine all the time, but we need to be leaning on TPTB to pay attention to this issue, too.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
How well does solar function in locations where there is a lot of overcast skies or complete cloud cover, rain and snow for weeks and months on end?
When the sun is shinning, you will have power flowing. When it isn't, you won't.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
TnAndy I have no doubt what you say is true. I just think, it's best not to tell everything you know. If there is a power failure, people coming out of the cities will have no computers to use the tools you mentioned. They won't think that far ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Agreed Sandra.

I live in a location that will be quite easy to block off from any city dwellers coming this way.....a mtn valley with a lot of National Forest at either end.....a chainsaw and a couple hours of dropping trees, and nobody will have access in or out except by climbing over them, or climbing up and over the mountains, or by air.

The ones I really worry about already live right here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts