Now, why didn't I think of that?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Oct 8, 2005.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

Picked up a horse trailer from a feller yesterday and while shootin' the breeze, I noticed a rail fence around his garden area and inquired how he managed to keep deer out with a fence like that.

His place borders an alfalfa field with the forest 100 or so feet away...deer paradise, similar to my own situation.

Like me, he'd tried playing a radio at night, without much success after the first few nights. He even tried something I'd tried, putting a motion detector light out there, with the same results I had, providing a handy light to the intruders.

His simple solution which has worked for two years? One of those motion detecting singing fish that cranks around and sings at ya! I guess it has about a five song repertoire. He can adjust if for sensitivity, so there is no routine that the deer get accustomed to.

They watched as the first deer nearly jumped out of his skin at the sight and sound of a fish begging, "Take Me To The River", and haven't had any damage since.

Organic farming at it's best.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We put our dog in her portable kennel inside the garden at night...for racoons and deer....when she barks the floodlight goes on and if its a racoon or skunk they get a bullet.....the deer are less bold so we never see them with the dog around.

Just two days after the dog left (corn was done) the deer returned to harvest the apples....deer season is coming up so for now we are sharing a few ;)

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I would think that singing fish thing might just do it. Those things are scary. There was one left hanging in one of the classrooms I taught in. You can just imagine the fun the middle school kids had playing pranks with that.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup! Great idea. It is probably the motion as much as the songs.

It probably uses AA batteries, and the rechargeables last forever.

Our first garden at the honestead is probably going to be mostly honor system. Thanks for the idea.

Rick

5. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

Great idea! :dance:

Might even work on stopping people from cutting across our property back home. I'm going to forward this, thanks! :)

Kat

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

glad someone found a use for those annoying things. LOL!!

7. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

Super Idea.. have you seen the new singing BUCK yet? That one got me the last time I was in Menards.. made me jump since he looked almost real.

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

We were just in Fin, Feather and Fur in Mansfield Ohio today. They have a mounted deer head that sings, talks and moves with a proximity sensor. They have it on the wall just after the checkout counter before the exit door. We were having a hoot watching all the "big brave" hunters getting spooked as the deer started singing or talking.

Mike

P.S. I have to admit that I probably would have been spooked if I hadn't seen someone else trigger it.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................My favorite currently , is at Wal-Mt. . Going from the garden section to the main store , they have a 5 foot 6 inch tall , talking version of "Lurch" . When you walk by he says..."good evening , Master" ,what would you like for supper" ? His skin tone and eyes are really monster looking to me . If I had an extra $100 I thimk I might just buy one and set him up next to my TV . fordy... :eek:

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee i was even offerd one of those!! think it would startle a coyote? \

fordy am going to have to look after halloween and see if any of the walmarts have those lurch dolls on sale! coyote would certainly not like that! and the kids would love it come halloween!!!!!

11. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

Or how about one of those moving Santa Clauses!!!!! I bet that would do the job!!!!!