Now What?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marilyn in CO, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen you around and wondered how you were. I'm glad to hear you are on your way to a more peaceful life. I know you were so good with cattle and promoting your beef. You would be an excellent farm manager, maybe work for an older farmer that is looking to retire? I do know some ladies around here that are herd managers for dairies and make good money. Also know ladies that are feedlot managers. Shoot for the stars and be a large animal vet.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I know how you feel. You're broke, but you're free :rock:

Contact one of the colleges and speak to a counselor. They can give you tests that will not only tell you what you are good at (which you already know), but what areas you will be able to use your talents. You may be surprised. I don't remember if you have a degree or not. If you do, you can skip into a master's program.

If you don't, my only suggestion would be to take a 2 year or 4 year degree, unless you really MUST be a doctor or lawyer. All of the time you are spending on an advanced degree is money you're not earning, not to mention the extra loans you will be paying off. You will not make as much money with an advanced degree as you think, and you'll have those debts over your head for a long time. You can, however, earn an advanced degree while working, and many colleges offer classwork that can be done on weekends or evenings for working stiffs.

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Hooray for you. I am proud of you. You have taken your lemons and made lemonade. I know you're do fine. Take a few days to rest and enjoy how far you've already come. Set your goals small, so you'll always be successful. And if you exceed your goals, then that's gravy. :D

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

What about going to a local community college and offering to teach some courses in things that you are good at? Ours offer "continuing education" classes that meet in the evenings for 5 or 6 sessions and they pay the instructor a stipend. You don't have to have a degree, just be "an expert" in some area.

They offer classes such as Playing Dulcimer, Making Candles, Aromatherapy, etc. I'm sure you could come up with a list of things that you could be consider a local "expert" on!!!

Also, if you will be finding a job anyway, what about finding ANYTHING at a local college? Every one I know offers free classes as part of their benefit package. I worked as a secretary for 17 years in the education field. But even a custodian or grounds-keeper gets the same benefits. Our college even had a full-time person that worked in the greenhouse! I wanted that job. :)

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena,

College rankings are somewhat fickle, but, in general, a degree from Illinois will probably open more doors for you...unless they do not offer a program that takes you down the career path you choose. Be aggessive on the financial aid front, and you'll be surprised at what you might find. Stay away from loans and steer towards scholarships and grants if possible.

Being out of debt must be a wonderful place to be (I wouldn't know), and good luck in choosing your new path.

Ramblin Wreck

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Ok without starting a debate over whose state school holds more weight, I would like to add that IU has some pretty decent programs, including a complete high school homeschool program, and Riley's Childrens hospital, and an ag program, just to name a few. But it really depends on what you want to be doing, you will find that not all schools, no matter what the rank, will give you what you need. I would personally not attend a school and get a degree I didnt really want just for the sake of that school's name on my resume, unless it was something like a law degree where that really does make a difference. It will bite you in the end when you realize you're following the wrong path and have to decide to muddle thru it or start over doing what you really want to do. And didnt you just make a decision just like that recently? And btw, doing this now will be a terrific model for your kids, they will see at what length you took to find your path. Thats a big deal, no matter what age your kids are. You can do like an above poster said, go take some tests, see what your hidden strengths are.

7. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

No suggestions, but I wanted you to know you have my admiration and my good wishes. You're a fighter. :)

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Way to go, girl..I'm sooo proud of you! It is a good suggestion about getting employed at a college so you (and your kids) can attend free. Check out the animal husbandry or vet assistant programs, too. Take a breather and, do your research and planning first...don't rush in to anything.

Meanwhile...what are your homesteading plans for the 1.5 acres?

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I didn't get a chance to read all of the responses, so hopefully I won't repeat! ;)

First of all, GOOD FOR YOU - you should be proud of yourself. I'm sure LIFE isn't easy right now, but like you said, you have peace of mind. There's not much sweeter than that!

Secondly, I'm wondering if a degree in Horticulture could be for you? My hubby was in the Hort business for several years & there are good jobs, as far as Greenhouse Managers, etc.....You would see growth & progress every season.....those jobs are full-time & include benefits. If you got your degree, I could point you to some Hort job web sites for good leads.

If you're more into Animals than growing things......
    I don't think you're too far from Indiana University, are you??
    They have a pre-Vet program

Just some ideas........

Others have said it - you'll be just fine - you've already proven that! Best wishes!

10. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jena,

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you're getting there.
    Hang in, Take it one Step at a time.
    You're doing Fine.
    Take care.................

11. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Jena,
    Have you considered nursing? Usually people who like raising/caring for animals also like nursing. There are tons of different types of jobs in the nursing field, and you can always find a job. The pay is good to really great, depending on where you are and what special programs/contracts are available. Some nurses make as much as small town family practice Dr's! And with 12 hr shifts full time is just 3 days/week.
    It makes no difference at all where you get your degree from because you are licensed. You can find a job with a 2 year degree as easily as with a 4 yr degree right now (RN - I wouldn't suggest LPN - limited opportunity and salary with LPN.)
    Can you tell I'm a nurse? I work at a fairly large hospital that's about 50 miles from home. I'm willing to drive that distance because I make almost twice what I would locally. I do have a special contract that obligates me to work weekends though or the difference wouldn't be quite that much.

12. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

congratulations!! i admire your grit and determination!! lots of others would have taken the easy way out. :clap:

i was in a similar situation after i divorced. have you considered nursing school? you can be an RN with a 2 year associate degree, an lpn with a certificate in 13 months. my advice is go for the RN, as it pays WAY better. once you get a degree, and get a years worth of experience under your belt, you can pretty much write your own ticket in a career that interests you. there are tons of things a nurse can do besides work in a hospital or nursing home, neither of which i would recommend. you can even hire out as an independent consultant in a field you are interested in.

best of luck in the future, and keep us posted!!

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Good to her from you Jena.

BooBoo

14. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking at the building trades while building my house, I would say the best trade to do would be being an electrician. No noxious chemicals, no dangerous work, no dust to breath or tools to damage your hearing. You don't work in the rain. You don't slog in the mud much or deal with sewage. Nothing heavy to break your back. You have to be limber to squeeze around in places. Electricians seem to be more intelligent/educated also, but that could just be my own experience. Plenty of work. (And you could practice on your own house!) You can specialize in new construction, or commercial, or marine (well, maybe not in IL ;) ) or I don't know what all.

Whatever you do, don't be a sheetrocker!

15. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Hi Jena,

I've been wondering how you've been doing.

Glad to hear that you were able to pull back from taking the bankruptcy route. I don't have any advice on a trade or direction. That's something you'll have to look inside to figure out. You should really look at building up your business again. I saw what you were doing with your chickens and cattle and you were so close! I will say I wish you lived closer. I'd offer you to work chickens and cattle on our place on shares if it would help you get back into it.

I have a strong confidence that you will work things out one way or the other.

Mike

16. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

my nephew in law is in his second year of carpentry apprenticeship. had to pass some tests, mostly geometry. started out at around 9 an hr I think (he was totally unskilled) and now is already up to 21 an hour. he still has 2 years left and will have an associates degree of some kind when he is done. in the union so great benefits and expects to make 35 or more an hour when he graduates.

can't be physically hard work, he is only about 5-6 and 135 pounds. based on some of the things you've said you've done on here, I think you are probably at least as strong if not stronger than he is.

good luck with whatever you pursue. I too am wondering if you could at least continue with your poultry on your 1.5 acres, start small and then maybe rent more?

17. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

18. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

First off I want to say I hope all is going to be O K and 2nd you are not middle aged you are getting better with ever passing day. And you have a wealth of folks that wish you well. I think you are a Highly intellgent person ,and you can do anything you want .If you put your mind to it. Good luck in the new house..

19. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Suggestions. Have a professional electrician either do the entire wiring job, or at least do all the work at the breaker panel. Running wire is no big deal...even I did that in my house....but I think it is wise to leave the critical connections up to a pro. I did...and had no problems. Also, consider contacting your community action agency. They may have programs to up-grade homes of low-income people. I don't know if it will include wiring, but I know they do insulation. Just a thought.

20. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Jena
    I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to say Your an inspiration and You should pat yourself on the back for being such a strong woman.
    :clap: