Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all doing to keep your garden fever under wraps? I'm going crazy and it's only been a couple of weeks since the first hard frost. I so envy people that can put in a winter garden and play in the dirt all year long.
Any ideas to keep me out of the looney bin will be much appretiated. :bouncy:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Build a cold-frame and start some winter greens and cold weather veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, kale). Plan next year's garden. Order the seeds for next year's crop.

My garden has only received a touch of frost, but I have the compost & leaves ready to be placed on the beds when the really cold weather sets in. I have my tomato seeds all picked out to start on Jan 1st, too.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I am still playing in the dirt a bit..
I have cabbage, chard, tat soi, carrots, onions, spinach, kale, celeriac etc.. in the garden and we just bought a very used, but very cheap tiller!! This is a big deal!
So I can quell the fever by tilling every patch of soil that I have on 3.5 acres!!!
Oh.. I can't wait for it to dry out!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
plan next year's garden.
Read gardening books
Study plant nutrient needs
care for my tools
check the mail box three times a day for new catalogs
check seed house webpages daily for 2009 catalog

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are wonderful ideas...I'm jealous, you all are from the southern states. I'm here in Wisconsin with no hope for dirt until March or April.
c.

·
Premium Member
27,965 Posts
Pansies and perennials. Still have some to put in the ground, should be doing it now. And I am mulching the gardens and moving dormant plants as I have time.

After that I will be starting winter lettuce and kale for indoor pots (in the basement under lights). Plus there are still the tender potted plants to care for and the amaryllis to pot up. When that is all done lettuce, kale, and other cole crops will need to be started for the spring. And I still have seeds that need a cold period before they will sprout that need to be planted.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
I'll get back to you when the ground freezes solid. Until then, I'll be working on *something* out there. Maybe even after. By the time I finish working outside, it'll be time to order seeds and get things going in the house. Oh, I have to decide if I'm going to order trees, too. Plus I'm going to try to grow herbs and greens inside all winter. There's always something to do!

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
I potted up some beets and some onions in little pots and I set them on the windowsill. The foliage will make the meals much better!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
making my list, checking it twice....

So far there is lots of stuff on my list, I'm always trying something new

this year- stevia and hopefully a lemon tree

Twila

·
Registered
626 Posts
I garden year round by using grow tunnels and cold frames etc. There was a time when I hung up the garden tools in October and did not return to the garden until April - but that was a long time ago. Even in very cold climates - much can be done if you are willing to use season extending tools.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Growing in cold frames and tiny greenhouse. We're also still finding ways to use of those left over tomatoes and apples.

It's only six weeks, and onions can be started in cold frames. Ten weeks for cold hardy crops to be sown in cold frames.

I may just crochet through the last bit of it. Prior to that, there is the holiday season to start working on.

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
I have had it down to 26 a few days over the last few weeks the garden is still growing and were selling lots of greens still from the out door garden. Wish my customers had remembered to come last saturday, It was low 30's and I had tons of stuff that no one came for. I am looking forward to very hard freezes so I can take a respite from picking/selling And work on some hoop houses.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
You can do a lot in cold frames. If you one build one now you an fill it and get seeds planted for February germination.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Get hooked on growing orchids in your house! They smell delicious and are powerful mood elevators.

Only a few months until Orchid Quest in February in Madison. Even if you don't grow them, it's a wonderful respite just when we need it in the worst part of Winter.

It's cold out, but not impossible to do other work, like pruning trees and cleaning up in the orchard. Also a good time to sharpen shovels, pruners, etc. and put a light coating of oil on them. I actually look forward to winter as a time to dream about my next years' garden.

Other than that, I checked out the sticky here and ordered *lots* of new catalogs from companies I hadn't heard of before. I can't wait until they start showing up in the mailbox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts