Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on this scrappy quilt for a while here and there, I've now pieced the top all together, I've got that batting and the backing, but I'm not sure how to stitch it all together with out messing up and making it lumpy in spots? and the binding....I'm lost on that too, I have a book here but the directions on putting the quilt all together is not really detailed or clear... :help: Can someone point out a resource, perhaps online that can help me out?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Nice looking quilt top!! Do you have a quilting frame or are you planning to machine quilt it? I hope someone knows an online site with detailed instructions. I only know about putting one in a frame.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ravenlost said:
Oh, it's very pretty! I love the way you have the colors laid out. There is a sewing and quilting forum here at HT. I'm sure someone could help you out.

Thanks, its going to be a little girls quilt...I have a neighbor with a 9 month old, i hope to have it done for her 1st birthday. She is the most beautiful little girl, I kid you not from day one. A very happy baby! lol

I have no quilting frame.....as this is my first quilt and jsut kind of picked up a book to start. the pattern is called arkansas crossroads. I'll see what they have to say in the sewing forum when I have more time.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
No advise, but very nice work!

·
23,497 Posts
It is beautiful, just my style. It is not hard to put together. You will make a "sandwich" with your three layers. Make sure your back is extra big, six inches all the way around is not too much. Lay the back on the floor and stretch it tight, then lay the batting down, smoothing it out as best as you can, then lay the top on it and stretch it. Starting in the middle, pin and smooth all the way around. Once it is pinned you can either knot it or start putting in some quilting stitches. After you have it all done, you can trim the edges and put the binding on. For binding I like to double it, so just cut it either double or quadruple as wide as you want it to end up. I always stitch one side on the machine and hand sew the other side. The corners are the hardest, there are several ways to do them, best to find a picture, I have to look at one almost every time!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Your top is beautiful - you did very very well for your first one.

I do not have enough room to set up a full sized frame, so I quilt with either a round or oval quilting hoop. Melissa gives great directions for laying out the bottom, batting, and top. I too have better results using the safety pin basting then I do with basting with running stitches.

If you are happy with the size of the quilt you can use the quilt binding in a corresponding/contrasting color (it's larger then your standard binding and found in the same place in the fabric stores, or fabric department). If you would like your quilt a little larger you can edge it with additional strips that increase the quilt to the size you wish.

Not being pleased with my first attempt at mitring corners, for my next quilt I used adinner plate to cut a curve on the corners. There are templates you can purchase for this purpose. Have since had someone teach me how to do squared corners :)

That baby is going to have a wonderful heirloom.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much you all :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts