Now What Do I Plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Apr 14, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Had a big area I was going to plant Sweet Corn.Wife said not to it wasn't worth it.

:shrug: Ground is worked up.What should I plant?

big rockpile

2. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

man what's wrong with sweet corn ain't much thats better cept maybe tomatoes and green beans thats my three favorites squash and cucumbers come in next:banana02:

3. big rockpile

Thats what I think.But she says it isn't worth fighting the Coons over. :shrug:

big rockpile

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Coons eat your corn?! What do they do,ride the stalks over or something? That's crazy! I have a little trouble with deer,but mainly birds picking the seeds before they can sprout :stars:

I can't imagine not planting corn...it's the star of the garden :)

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with your wife BRP. I don't plant corn for the same reason.
    What about punkins? They take alot of room. Or a big ol' chicken tractor! :bouncy:
    Strawberries, ooooh raspberries! Or - apple trees!

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

7. big rockpile

I was thinking Melons.

big rockpile

8. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I'm still about a month away from being able to plant anything! I've never tried corn before, but I'm planning to this year...then I can say I tried it once & decide if I want to repeat next year.

I don't know how many tomatoes you alreay plan for, but can you have too many? :) Someone else said strawberries...but, I'd also try more melons if I had the space...

This is my first year gardening at this property, so I really am curious & anxious...

good luck!

9. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

If coon problems are the only reason that you will not plant your sweet corn, then go ahead and plant it.

There are three things that coons just do not like: alot of light, noise, and the smell of mothballs.

Coons won't hit until it is harvest time, or maybe a day or two before harvest time.

So go over to Home Depot and buy yourself a bunch of mothballs. Place them into little "sacks" made of some kind of pourous netting, and place the mothballs around the border of your planting area. Make sure you have enough mothballs to do the job, cuz trying to cut costs by not putting out enough mothballs to smell up the perimeter will just mean that you will have spent money for nothing.

Or else (if you are well away from neighbors), put a huge boom box out there with some gawd-awful rap station or something blasting ffrom it.

Or else light the area up extremely well with hallogen lights right before harvest.

Any of these methods will work, and you only have to do it for a few days -- maybe just a week at most -- to be effective.

10. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Warning about melons (watermelon, anyway):

There is a watermelon blotch that has been hitting watermelon the last few years. It is a bacterium that is actually there inside the seed, from what I understand.

Anyway, for the last few years, people have had their watermelon crack right there in the field and/or rot away -- and it was not anything that they did wrong. The seed (or transplant) they got was the culprit, and nothing they could have done would have saved that melon.

So if you are thinking about watermelon, research watermelon blotch before you set them out.

11. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

coons can be dealt with we have lots of them here as a matter of fact the pkc world championship coon hunt is held every year about two miles from my house .I've never had a problem with coons in my corn and there is definatly coons on my property. a friend of mine does have some trouble but he keeps a live trap in the garden usually catches 4 or 5 coons a season he relocates them or around here you can always find a coon hunter who wants them to train dogs with (and no they don't kill them :nana: usually )but at any rate they don't get much of his corn. just having a dog around will help keep them away as well maybe why I don' have any problems and friend does don't know :shrug: what i mean is if I wanted to grow corn I wouldn't let coons stop me

12. big rockpile

Well I trap them.Eat the ones I catch.Put my Dog in there one time,might of kept the Coons out,but he dug my Beans up :Bawling:

Always keep bunch of Mothballs on hand to keep Snakes away.

big rockpile

13. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have one better than(c)rap music, a talk radio host named lowell green! thing is we have near neighbours and they would not be gunning for the radio! :nana: :nana: we fight back their (c)rap music with high decible def leppard, skinnard and such! usually scares the coons away cept the deth ones :rolleyes:

melons! :bouncy: :bouncy: wish we could grow them! :mad: could plant beans too, better not needing water plus add nitrogen to the soil . or Zucchini, nothing seems too kill that!

14. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The best coon retardent I've found is a little smooth wire on insulaters about 7 inches above the ground. Hook that sucker to an electric fence charger and the coons won't cross it. Neither will cats. he he. We had one in the garden one year when I first turned it on. He went stroling under the wire, but his tAil was sticking straight up. If they could launch a rocket that fast, they could be on the moon in time for afternoon tea.

Rocky, you can grow 12 to 15 thousand ears of corn on one acre. That could amount to 2 or 3 thousand dollars per acre if you have a market for it.