Now we got this to deal with!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shadowwalker, Jun 11, 2005.

1. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Just got diagnosed with Lyme Desease. Already feel like crap. Every joint is painful, weakness is extreme, Pills make me sick and nausious. But better than the end results of desease.
    Two nights before we had me at the doctor. We had wife at emergency room, needs hysterectomy bad. Just found out that it is now pre-existing due to visit. Insurance won't pay when it's in effect in mid July. And as far as I know we don't qualify for anything. It just gets better and better. shadowwalker

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Sorry to hear about this will pray for you and yours.

Wife wanted to quit smoking went to Doc and he wanted a complete heart test done before he would prescribe nicoret gum. We had insurance and all the necessary test were approve by the insurance company BEFORE they were administered. All test were complete and a hole was discovered in my wife's heart but not a life threatening thing. Insurance company refused to pay for any of the tests because they say the condition was pre-existing.

Now my question was how can a physical be pre-existing because that was what the bills were from, just the physical and they were approved, Before they were done, by that same insurance company. Just another insurance rip-off but all to often this is the case.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Shadowwalker, this stinks! I am so sorry!

My prayers for healing and complete recovery for you and your DW, that God will hold you in His loving, protecting hands!

Pony!

4. Angharad

Angharad Active Member

Shadowalker my prayers etc are with you. I've heard that massive amounts of vitamin C will help with Lyme Disease.

angharad

5. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

Shadowwalker, when was the last time you had insurance? Is this insurance because of a new job? The insurance company can exclude pre-existing conditions for only so long, usually 6 months-1 year. And if you have always had insurance, this is just a switch because of a new job, the time becomes even less.

Siryet- I'd fight this one. If your wife had never been treated for this new condition, and the physical was the first time you found out about it, its not pre-existing. The condition is, but your knowledge of it isn't. As long as you can prove she has never sought treatment for it or knew about it before the physical, you should get reimbursed for treatment.

Some insurance companies are predisposed to deny claims, hoping you will just take their answer and say "okay". That stinks, I know, but if you argue a bit, most will change their mind and pay the claim.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I agree with mzzlisa fight them they always turn people down because they know most folks will just roll over. If after you fight them and not win at least you tried all you can. Dont give up yet. Sorry your handling the wrong end of the stick right now I hate when that happens. Hang in there things have a funny way of working out sometimes.

7. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Ron Schmid has a lot of experience treating lyme disease and he will do it using alternative medicines and foods that won't poison you and cost a lot less than the allopathic guys. Contact him at http://www.drrons.com/index.html

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Shadowwalker , I can Empathize completely!! I'm only working part time with no guarantee that I'll ever be hired , fulltime . So , then , My right ankle starts swelling from a previous injury back in Feburary which left me basically unable to walk ...or work...and now I'll probably be out of Commission for atleast 2 weeks . It just never seems to end does it . Good luck and pray and plan for things to workout . fordy.. :)

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

He wants to get rid of the disease not empty his wallet....I looked over the website...lots of claims of the diseases he treats but curiously no data on the efficacy of his treatments....for some of the diseases listed the patients are no doubt dead...WE want efficacy....not economy....

10. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Shadowwalker, so sorry to hear you're getting ganged up on in the bad luck dept. I know how you feel. Haven't sold our house yet that has been on market since Nov., hubby out of work for 6 weeks due to surgery, orchard freezes amounts to total loss of peach crop and 80-85% of apple crop (this was supposed to be my salary replacement, haha!) and we are living so close to bone it 'aint funny. 24 mi. commute to work and keeping l7yr. old happy without seing her friends on daily basis is impossible. We have had to scale back and re-figure priorities. Planted corn and cukes, looking for part-time in one of the small, small towns nearby, letting her keep her phone (she does great on minutes) so she can text and dropping my phone ( i didn't use it that much) is one way. Including her in family budget meetings at the first and last of month has helped tremendously. Didn't even have budget meetings before we moved here (she has pointed this out a time or two believe me). Just remember; as long as you pay SOMETHING each month on that hosp. bill they can do NOTHING. Hubbies deductible very high - they will get $50 a month out of us... Don't be afraid to question and bug ins. companies; they are so arbitrary any more. You are getting good advice from many here who have had to deal with situations not unlike yours. I'll be thinking of you - stay out of the blue fugs if you can. I know it's hard but a good mental attitude helps. Take care- you're in our prayers along with wife!

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks all, we haven't had insurance since september, with moving down here, and this is her new job. I've been trying to get stuff started around here so I can go self employed. shadowwalker

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Well, I doubt that you'll be using "organic" tick repellants in the future. Use repellants with DEET.

13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Shadowwalker- if I read your post correctly your wife's insurance hasn't kicked in yet, so it sounds as if you're hosed as far as her diagnosis- it will be a pre-existing condition. But if you have any doubts about the policy, double and triple check it and stay on the ins company to make sure that they pay for everything that is covered.

I haven't had insurance for 20 years, but when DH and I married last year I decided to get it. I was added to DH's existing policy, thank goodness, otherwise it would have been a real hassle. I did not even have to get a physical. But, several weeks after enrolling we got a letter from the company stating that basically, anything would be considered a pre-existing condition and would not be covered :bash: DH called for an explanation and was told to disregard the letter- it was just a form letter that they send out to all newly insured people :no: What the heck? I don't trust them one bit and hope I never have to use the insurance anyway just so I won't have to deal with them.

14. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Shadowwalker, make sure you eat yogert or take the cultures that are in yogert a couple of hours after taking the medication. This will keep your gut in working order, keep away yeast problems in the future. Also, milk thistle will help to clean your liver so the bacteria you are killing won't pile up and make you feel worse. Both of these you can get at a health food store.