Now they want to bring Lions & Cheetah's to the USA !

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

2. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

If they want to do something like this, they'd also have to bring in Cameleopardis, Moropus. Megatherium, and Glyptodonts.

3. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I think this is insane. I have nothing against native predators and actually believe we need more of them. But everytime humans have introduced non-native wildlife, either on purpose or by mistake, it has been a disaster. For examples, look at rabbits and foxes in Australia, the brown tree snake in Hawaii, etc.

Beaux

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Cheetahs wouldn't be so bad, but please, no lions.

5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, thanks!

Yesterday on the radio I heard about this notion of bringing elephants and camels into the US to improve the ecosystem. I thought surely I'd heard it wrong. Now I know "the rest of the story".

6. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

Who ever said animal nazis were sane.
    It's obvious that they hate humans so much that they want to put people in reservations and turn loose the animals. I once confronted a majior animal right person when I lived in Palo Alto about why she hated people so much. She wouldnt say anything then I told her its my opinion that the majority of animal rights people were abused as children theirs no other explanation for their hatred of people. Again she wouldnt say athing speaks for itself dosent it but I heard later that I hit the nail on the head she was abused. These people need treatment.

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

What exactly does Ted Turner think will happen to his bison herds once cheetahs and lions are introduced? This is just insane!

8. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I'm gonna need a bigger gun!

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

It seems that the ecology nuts have forgotten that a couple of years ago, they were wanting to get rid of livestock out west because they are "invasive species". They are such idiots.

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

:cowboy: :viking: Yeeeeehah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I find this so ridiculous that it is just funny. Seriously folks, what makes you think they'd be allowed to do it?? Just because someone WANTS something, even if it is Ted Turner, doesn't mean they will be able to.

11. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Bringing non-indigenous species into an area can have ghastly effects. For one, anything brought in will have no natural enemies. Think purple loosestrife, zebra mussels, Med. fruit fly. Yikes!

12. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Not to mention Asian Ladybugs, Gypsy Moths, Garlic mustard, Lampreys, Grass Carp, Round Gobies, Milfoil, and so forth.
    These guys are off thier rockers. The only reason they are getting any attention at all is because someone talked Turner into wanting to do it. And anyone with that kinda dough is gonna get attention. Marketing plain and simple.

13. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

"Sorry, but I find this so ridiculous that it is just funny. Seriously folks, what makes you think they'd be allowed to do it?? Just because someone WANTS something, even if it is Ted Turner, doesn't mean they will be able to."

The government is out of control and does ridiculous things every day. Our lives are now under the control of special interest groups - get used to it - things are only going to get worse. The gov no longer serves the people - we serve the gov - and it's getting bigger and more powerful everyday.

14. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

*sigh* Sadly, like with a lot of stuff in this world, if you have enough cash and high enough connections, you can do pretty much anything.

15. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Clearly, these dumb Folks have Too Much Time on their hands.
    Too much disposable income, either theirs or someone elses'.
    And Too Little Sense.

Sounds like it could be totally disastrous, To Native species of Predators,
    as well as the environment.
    Heyy, look at the fight to re-establish wolf populations, & buffalo populations in our Western States, Not to mention the attempts to re-establish the Grizzlies in Montana.

This thing sounds like pure insanity to me.

16. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

The thing that kills me about this is that, from what I understand, they are trying to maintain our plains and prairie health by importing a blanced ecosystem. But the thing is - we have native species that would do the job just fine if they would let them do it! Bring back the bison and prairie dogs to the plains! Bring back the buffalo wolves! But people won't go for it. I think they think people like lions and giraffes and cheetahs more than wolves and bears and bison so they'll accept it. Utter ridiculousness.

Texas has regular hunting seasons on SEVEN non-native African and Asian antelope species as a result of them escaping from game farms. It's one thing to let nature take her course and slowly evolve an ecosystem and it's a whole 'nother story to throw in a bunch of animals and expect it to work out just fine.

ARGH!

17. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

18. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Just what we need: some blazin liberals to bring some native Africans to the U.S. :cowboy: :rock: :viking: