Now that was spendy....ouch!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Live and learn...even at my age.

We were given an Old tractor and all the extras. Having had to sell my truck two years ago..was going to be a bit of a problem getting it here.
    Could of had hubby rent a truck and large flat bed trailer. However he dented himself crashing is motorcycle. Sigh ~~
    So I called up a Transfer company.. told them where the tractor was..where it was going to, they told me all the fees,,told me it would cost no more than $495.00 since it was within Oregon.
    So it gets here today.. and they want $917.23. Needless to say I wasn't happy about that at all. They never once told me it would cost more if they got stuck in traffic...even when I asked.
    Needless to say,, I have learned my lesson,, don't trust the word of Transfer companies. I just too old fashioned,, spit and a hand shake kind of person.
    Just glad I have a little food in the house,, because I now don't have any money for anything for a bit. Ah Well....
    Looking at the good side,, at least we now have a Tractor,, which has been badly needed since we moved here..and it is much..much cheaper than even buying a used one of the same model. Needs some work... but that is ok.

2. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

This is the standard operating procedure for most moving companies, too. They bully you into believing they can just take off with your gear if you don't pay their new fees.

Sorry that happened to you. Did you have your estimate/contract in writing? You might not have much to go on now that you've paid, but you might be able to file a complaint with the BBB. And writing a letter to the company explaining how you feel a bit ripped off might help if you mention how many friends you have who sell livestock and equipment cross country.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

If you signed a contract its small claims court time.

that isnt right in my book.

BooBoo

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It won't be any comfort to know that sort of thing happens here too, but you're not alone. What sort of tractor did you get?

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Bummer. But, as you say, at least you've got one now.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi Ross,

Alice Chambers 5020... is an older little thing...but very much needed. Has many implements to it too.
    Since I hurt my leg I can't use my Fjord for work. This will help us out doing many things on the Farm.

7. Ross

Hmmm a Fiat built Allis nice little tractors well built but be gentle with it they are dear enough to fix and parts are tricky to find. (here at least) Neighbor has one.

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Don't EVEN get me started on transfer/moving companies! We went thru HELL with them, just getting from Texas to Colo. #@$%@#$^$%!#!@$

9. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thanks Ross.. did not know Fiat built them.

Hear you about parts.. everyone around here has JD, Kabota, or New Holland.

Rocky sorry to hear you had troubles with a Transfer company too. These folks need to either change their ways and be honest or be put out of business.

10. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I would contact the person who quoted you the first time and ask him if he wants to reimburse you now or in small claims. Tell him you will be taking him, not the company, to court. Then do it, if necessary. A verbal contract holds up in small claims. I have won a few.

11. Ross

Ok My Bro Ford Major says they are toyosha (not Toyota) and the neighbor has a 5045 which is different but fiat built. Be kind to it I've never heard of toyosha!!!

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

13. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

BooBoo is right. A couple of years ago a law was passed saying that moving companies cannot charge more than 10% over the contract price.

14. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Next time consider a tractor road trip.

Good way to see the countryside.

15. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, go on tour with allis...hehehe. do a one night stand in every town along the way. sing the song "got you under my wheels".

16. bergere

bergere Just living Life

<LOL> You folks are funny.

Thanks Ross for the update. Hubby did check it out on the web site.
    agmantoo, thank you for the link.

Yes, it is a small tractor.. smaller than what we really need. But it was Hubby's dad's and the tractor itself is free. I do know it is 4 wheel drive so that will help.

Can't even afford a used but larger Tractor if we had to go buy one. Not that there is many used tractors in this area for sale.
    So this wee one will have to do. :nerd:

OK...Well, free... except for getting ripped off by the Transfer company.
    Me talking to them isn't going to get me anywhere I know this.
    Thinking of filing I complaint with the BBB. If it doesn't help us,, it will be there for other people if they look into that company.
    As for Legal routes.. I don't trust lawyers...had an experince with them after I was hit by a speeding driver a number of years ago. Lets just say they are out for themselves,,and being a woman..................

Just happy to have a little tractor. It needs work.. but it is better than doing a lot of the Farm work by hand.

Does anyone know if they make a Roll bar for this model??