Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Lettuce, greens, cabbages, peas underneath. Then, later, beans on the trellis to shade later plantings of lettuce, greens, cabbages, or peas.
:)

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
How early do you want to plant? I'll have seeds germinating and greens starting to grow again by mid February. I'm on the 45th parallel. And, how soon will you want to change over to summer plants like tomatoes?

·
Banned
486 Posts
WHat the heck is a high tunnel :) Inquiring minds want to know???

·
Registered
156 Posts
A high tunnel is an unheated greenhouse. Basically just hoops all covered with clear plastic.

Most any cool season crop can be grown in a high tunnel. Eliot Colemans book, Four Season Harvest is a good source for info on what and how to grow year around in a high tunnel.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I am trying asian greens. The Extra Dwarf Nai You Pak Choy looks like if you had an onion, a carrot, a bit of celery and a little chicken. You could stir fry it and put it over rice.
i think 2-3 per person per meal would do it, depending on how big you harvest of course.
I ordered the seed off e-bay this time but Evergreen seeds has it too.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
woody I haven't a clue where you live in Missouri, but you just missed the Great Plains Vegetable Growers Conference in St. Joe.

They always have a special workshop on high tunnel growing which would have been of benefit to you.

Spinach is another crop that could be grown and hasn't been mentioned yet. If you will read up on season extension I think you will find that some crops can be grown almost all winter in milder climates. Missouri might fit into that climate.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Woody, I just looked the link to your blog. Awesome BTW. I was wondering just how tall it is under that high tunnel of yours. My son and I were looking at it with serious envy! Actually if you don't mind, could you relay the dimentions of the whole thing? We just took down a bunch of fencing and I had planned on making a long green bean fence but now we are thinking of making a high tunnel. Sorry if this looks like a thread hijack. I am interested in what the others say too.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I liked the blog, too, but went trying to figure out what a high tunnel was, and didn't see the picture of it.

How did you attach the cattle panel to the ground for the beans?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hears the water..The dimensions are 12'x25'. It is all salvaged materials, windows, door, culled wood from the lumber yard and panels from a carwash garage door.

Mary,tx... I drove re-bar into the ground and wired the panels to the re-bar. Also ran some scrap 1x2's along the top for added stability when the beans get going. The wind can sometimes push the arches around if not stiffened with the purlin.

Windy..We're just east of Rolla

1 - 10 of 10 Posts